PDA

View Full Version : Platte River Shelf Ice

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
03-04-2009, 08:26 PM
I went back down to Sleeping Bear National Park today to work on more photos of the point and all the ice has blown into shore so there were some new opportunities as this shelf ice will only last a day. Lots of flight ducks but forgot my 600 and they were a long ways out.

After I slipped and fell a few times on this extremely slippery ice as there was no grip and I forgot my ice creepers as I was walking back this struck my eye.

Canon 1D Mk2, Canon 17-40mm , f/22@1/40, 0 EV, ISO 100, AV mode, tripod with rrs-55 head. Converted to BW using Silver Efex Pro

Roman Kurywczak
03-04-2009, 09:19 PM
Hey Curly,
I'm likin' this one. Nice choice converting to B&W too. Afew minor tweak suggestions......I may lighten the sky on the UR a hair......and I would also do a bit of work on a few of the flares to further minimize them. You have excellent leading lines in the ice and very good texture in it also. The starburst sun is also in a perfect location. Very nicely done.
BTW...8 hours out in 14-24 degree weather

Robert Amoruso
03-05-2009, 07:25 AM
Dennis,

Great job. Just the few minor things Roman mentioned. You did a great job composing it - the leading lines in the ice, the sunburst location balanced with the cloud and the inclusion of a bit of ladn/trees on the left establishes grounding.

Michael Pancier
03-05-2009, 09:18 AM
looks like some alien tundra....I'm with Roman on balancing the sky and cloning out some of the flare...

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
03-05-2009, 06:28 PM
Thanks Everybody for your help and I will work on the flares as what is the jest for keeping sun flare in the photo?

I did re-compose the bluffs and will post next week to get more helpful hints.

Hey Roman we are above freezing today and it sure feels good. Paul would of had to have studs on his flip- flobs as it was really some slick ice. Were you out shooting or shoveling snow on your 8 hour adventure.

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
03-05-2009, 07:22 PM
Hope this is better

Robert Amoruso
03-06-2009, 09:51 PM
Looking good Dennis.

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
03-07-2009, 04:07 PM
Thanks Robert