PDA

View Full Version : icicles

John Chardine
03-04-2009, 07:41 PM
Not really a macro image I suppose but was made up close with my 70-200. We had a bad ice storm the other day and then -15° C temps so the ice has stayed around. Although visually appealing, I have found it a challenge to capture in a photograph. Anyway here's an attempt. BG is OOF specular highlights from the ice backlit by the setting sun.

I cropped and evened out the BG (= removed a couple of OOF icy branches), and ran a round of NR on the BG as well.

Comments welcome!

BTW I recently added the Canon 100mm f2.8 macro USM to the gadget bag. I think I'l be coming here more often!

Canon EOS 50D, 70-200mm f4 IS @ 200mm
capture date: Wednesday, 4 March, 2009 5:50 PM
exposure program: Aperture Priority
ISO speed: 400
shutter speed: 1/1000
aperture: f4.0
exposure bias: +0.0
metering: Pattern
flash: OFF

massimomossi
03-04-2009, 07:52 PM
This is quite nice. I like the specular reflections in the BG, and also the way their color is picked up in the icicles. The highlight on the branch is also an excellent touch, as is the blue of the ice on the top of the branch--it really stands out against the warmer BG.

The subject is indeed much harder than it looks--you go out in all that shining reflecting costume-jewelry sparkle and think "this is a piece of cake!" And then find out how easy it is for pictures to look flat. Have done that dozens of times.

Good job--congrats,
Massimo

Anita Bower
03-04-2009, 08:39 PM
I like the lovely bokeh. The contrast between the warm colors of the BG and the cool colors of the branch and iciles, and the contrast between the round shapes of the BG and the straighter shapes of the branch and icicles add a dynamic element.

Gus Cobos
03-04-2009, 08:54 PM
Well composed and executed John,
I like the contrasting, dual tone, symmetrical pattern formed by the reflective concentric circles in the background. Your composition shows simplicity and elegance. The icicles on the branch tells the story of a cold and gloomy day...well done...:cool:

Mike Moats
03-05-2009, 06:04 AM
Hey John, looks like a macro to me. You've capture an excellent image here. The orbs in the BG put it over the top for me. Good subject and the blue ice at the top of the branch is very cool looking. Wish it were mine.:D

denise ippolito
03-05-2009, 07:59 AM
John, This really caught my eye! The colors are fantastic-the bokeh makes it special!

John Chardine
03-05-2009, 08:13 AM
Thanks everyone!

Mike and others- I guess I have never read a definition of what constitutes a macro image. Are there parameters that should be met in terms of focus distance, size of subject, or on-sensor magnification, etc before an image can be called a macro?

Mike Moats
03-05-2009, 06:17 PM
Hey John, for me the word macro is a broad term for any type of close-up or tight framed shot. Some opinions may differ, but I'm not that fussy about it, as long as were having fun.

Julie Kenward
03-05-2009, 07:05 PM
I agree with Mike - if it's lifesize or bigger or if it's a really tight image I consider it a macro. I agree with everyone else - the cool and the warm shades together really make this special for me and I'm a bokeh girl so color me happy!

Kaushik Balakumar
03-07-2009, 05:25 AM
Nice use of the BG. Love the circular blobs in the BG due to reflections - it really adds to the image. Very well seen and photographed.