PDA

View Full Version : Gull - does this work?

allanrube
03-04-2009, 07:52 AM
I shot many laughing gulls in the past two weeks. I have them flying left, right, semi-towards me. I have sand, water, sky backgrounds.
Now this one is different. I like it for that reason. But it is a human trait to like things that break the rules or seem different.
Is that the only reason I like this? I can't really tell anymore.
So, does this work???

http://allanrube.smugmug.com/photos/485009349_prssc-X3.jpg

Randy Stout
03-04-2009, 08:18 AM
Allan:

I like the exposure and the head on position. I would prefer the lower wing to be cropped more so there is some balance with the upper wing. Perhaps just above the line of the surf.

The horizon line going through the body is a bit distracting.

The strong diagonal line is good.

I guess in the final analysis, it is close, but no cigar for me.

Randy

Fabs Forns
03-04-2009, 10:15 AM
Alan, the crop has potential, but as Randy points out, there's a few loose ends to it. The horizon line needs straightening too. The diagonal does make it strong but the intersection and surf distract.

denise ippolito
03-04-2009, 10:24 AM
Allan, I think it has alot of interest, as pointed out the horizon line is a bit distracting.But I really like the crop!

Ed Grella
03-04-2009, 10:28 AM
It may look more balanced if you center and change the body angle so each wing ends in a corner. By centering the body into the blue water, it should help with the horizon line.
Ed

Fabs Forns
03-04-2009, 10:43 AM
It may look more balanced if you center and change the body angle so each wing ends in a corner. By centering the body into the blue water, it should help with the horizon line.
Ed

Coming out of the corner will totally emphasize the shape of the frame. Try to avoid that.
This gets preached at art school :)

Gyorgy Szimuly
03-04-2009, 01:44 PM
I just imagine how killer it would be with a complete bird.
However this compo is not bad at all. The bg rocks for me.

Szimi

Chad Griggs
03-04-2009, 04:37 PM
I'm one that thinks you don't need the whole bird. This crop gives a more intimate scene. I would agree that the lower part should be cropped to balance it out with the other wing. I also agree that the surf line on the bottom is about the spot to crop to, maybe a smidge off the right as well.

I think you captured a great shot here.

allanrube
03-04-2009, 07:31 PM
I am on the rad with a limited net access. Here is a quick re-working. What do people think of this one?

http://allanrube.smugmug.com/photos/485291807_cHPav-X3.jpg

Fabs Forns
03-04-2009, 07:38 PM
Much better!

Scott Ellington
03-07-2009, 11:48 AM
I see an especially determined gull, laughing in the face of adversity. The visual hook is the paired catchlights that indicate indomitable will. They're coupled with the strenuous asymmetries in wings,tail, head and bill. These anatomical variations emphasize the burning eyes, and give evidence of invisible forces (like crosswinds) working to deny this gull its prize (of frolic, food, whatever moves gulls).
So I'd go with the original posting; crank the horizon level; work thirds against a square aspect ratio; and play this very-crisp black and white bird against the recessive-gradient-background blues...because this inspiring image is a stimulus package, a banner and a logo unto itself.
It's a winning, contagious photograph that promotes the value of will. Using the rules and guidlines to break the viewer's mind out of familiar boxes is the optimal purpose of rules and guidelines.