View Full Version : Hanging On

Mike Gallo
01-01-2008, 05:19 PM
Canon 1Ds M2, Canon 180mm Macro, 1/60 sec @ f/18, ISO 400

Taken last summer in my garden

Maxis Gamez
01-01-2008, 05:33 PM
Hi Mike,

The composition is very nice, However looks a little soft but a nice image for sure!

Alfred Forns
01-01-2008, 05:45 PM
One Sweet image Mike !!! Love the composition, perch and critter Colors are just over the top Might try to select the eyes and give them a pass Love this image !!!!

Gracious
01-01-2008, 08:02 PM
Froggy really pops from the bg. The coloring is fine, and I like how the texture is on the flower. The tip of the frogs face appears a bit over-exposed on my monitor. Nice one. :)

Chris Ober
01-01-2008, 09:28 PM
Great colors, contrast, and framing. I think it looks a little soft too

Keith Kennedy
01-02-2008, 12:41 AM
Mike, your composition is very good. However there are a number of things that would improve this shot. First, the frog is not sharp--a killer issue for this image. Since you were shooting at f18 DOF should not be an issue so I would guess that camera shake is the culprit. You should try backing off the f stop to increase your shutter speed to ensure a sharp image or else use a tripod. See some excellent examples of what a shallow DOF can do to enhance a photo in several of the macro images recently posted here. While the colors of the flower perch are nice, the perch itself is lacking in aesthetics and detracts from the overall visual image. Moreover, hightlight areas of the frog's face appear to be blownout and this starkly contrasts with the very dark background. Some advice: study similar shots from noted photographers paying particular attention to their compostion, perch, light angle, and background. Compare your shot to theirs. Then next time you get a similar opportunity, try for an improved imaged as you clearly have the right compositional approach. All the best, Keith.

Mike Gallo
01-02-2008, 01:57 PM
Thanks to all who took the time to post a comment, some great ideas there

Jeroen Stel
01-02-2008, 05:03 PM
Hi Mike,

This is a great composition, but the image does seem to suffer from some unsharpness. I too would recommend the use of a tripod as these frogs do tend to stay perched quite well. A tad more DOF would also be possible when you use a tripod.

Keep 'em coming!

Greetings,

Jeroen Stel

Sven Bernert
01-05-2008, 05:33 PM
Wow, that's interesting! I didn't even notice that the froggy isn't that sharp. I was blended by the colors ...

Great color, great background! And yes, the subject needs some USM.

Best,
Sven