PDA

View Full Version : St. Augustine in mid-April

Kari Post
03-03-2009, 03:20 PM
What are the best bets for shooting near St. Augustine in mid-April? I'm interested in all subjects, from birds and wildlife to landscapes and macro. I've never done a photography trip in Florida, so even though its a popular spot, I'm not very familiar with the area, so any help at all is greatly appreciated.

Judd Patterson
03-11-2009, 11:49 PM
I'm certainly stretching my expertise, having never visited the area myself...but everyone raves about the Alligator Farm. Looks a bit crowded with photographers, but it's crowded with nesting birds too. :) On the map I see several state parks worth researching and asking about: Guana River, Anastasia, and Faver-Dykes State Parks. I'm seldom disappointed with Florida state parks. If you travel a bit, I'd also recommend that you consider researching locations such as Timucuan Ecological and Historic Preserve to the north in Jacksonville. Sorry that I can't give you personal advice, but please do let us know what you find up there. Bird migration will be underway, so you may find some spots for those too.

Harry Behret
03-12-2009, 12:04 PM
The rookery at the Alligator Farm (http://www.alligatorfarm.us/) would be worth a visit. In mid April the snowy egret chicks start to hatch and the great egret and woodstork chicks are plentiful. There should be lots of displaying birds (great and snowy egrets, tri-colored herons, little blue herons, cattle egrets) also.