PDA

View Full Version : Nature Photo Ops near Frostburg, MD

Kari Post
03-03-2009, 03:17 PM
I'm looking into grad schools for Conservation Biology and Frostburg State University in Frostburg, MD has a program, but I'm not very familiar with the immediate area. What opportunities for nature photography (birds, wildlife, landscapes, and all other nature subjects) exist in the area? I'd relocate to Frostburg temporarily for 2-3 years if I attend that school, so I'm interested in subjects during all seasons. Thanks in advance for your help.

Ken Robb
09-23-2009, 06:54 PM
The western MD area has many opportunities for photography. Within an hour of Frostburg is Swallow Falls, Deep Creek Lake, Cranesville Swamp, Blackwater Falls, Canaan Valley, Dolly Sods NRA. Just north in Myersdale PA is the Sugar Maple Festival in March. This area also has many Amish folk whose farms can provide beautiful landscapes. Mt Davis is closeby and is the highest point in PA at 3100 ft. Also nearby Ohiopyle is a whitewater mecca and a few miles away is the famous Frank Lloyd Wright house. If you are into bicycling the Great Allegheny Passage is part of the railtrail from DC to Pittsburgh. This trail usually follows the river and provides great photo opportunities. In the fall the colored leaves in western PA, MD, and WV rival VT.

Ken