PDA

View Full Version : Ring-Necked Duck

Richard Kowalski
01-25-2008, 11:00 PM
Hello everyone.

I've been studying Arthur Morris' ABP & ABP 2 for some time now and found this site while reading his bulletins. This is one image I tend to stare at when it comes up on my screen saver, so I figured it'd be a good one to post as my first one here. It is also the first I've ever put up for serious critique.

Taken late in October 07 at Sweetwater Wetlands in Tucson, Az.

Canon 20D, Sigma 50-500, handheld, 1/400th, 500mm @ f/ 18, Av, ISO 1600

WB & some cropping in ACR, Noise Ninja, slight adjustment in Levels & Smart Sharpening in PS

Peter Hawrylyshyn
01-26-2008, 11:01 AM
richard -
a very nice 1st post
particularly like the waves and reflections
it may be my inferior office monitor, but the duck looks soft, as if it could use more sharpening. the whites behind the bill also look hot - - there's a thread on usinig Layer Multiply tp help get details back
although the crop probably works best for a screen saver, as a photo it's too centred , so i'd put more space particularly on the right side as well as at the bottom
thanks for sharing and keep them coming

George DeCamp
01-26-2008, 03:11 PM
Hey Richard!

Welcome to BPN!! Very nice start with this image. Agree it is a little too centered but it seems to work anyway. The water and waves add a lot here, very nice. I think a little lower angle is always nice if you can get lower that is. Maybe a little more contrast to the image would help it as well but you would have to see for yourself.

Nice first post and hope to see more!!!

Richard Kowalski
01-26-2008, 03:25 PM
Hey Peter,

I went back to the original and saw my ACR setting were a bit funky. I've tried again and while the hot area behind the bill looks better in the full res image, it still looks a little hot I think. I also captured her a little to the lower left of the frame, so the left edge of these crops are the left edge of the frame, but I've opened up a little below and in front of her. I've also multiplied the layer. Let me know what you think.

Richard

Richard Kowalski
01-26-2008, 03:28 PM
Thanks George.

I agree lower is better and more intimate, but if I remember correctly, much lower and I would have lost the deep blue mirror with the reflections from the opposite shore.

Richard

Alfred Forns
01-27-2008, 03:42 AM
I like what you did with the second Richard The lighter parts of those ducks are very difficult to capture About the only way is real soft diffused light btw you are correct with the reflection At times a little higher is the way to go I can see why you like this image so much !!!!

Peter Hawrylyshyn
01-27-2008, 01:56 PM
richard -
the 2nd image is much better - the crop gives you a sense of the duck moving in and out of the crop. colors are also much better
Nicely done