PDA

View Full Version : Shy Grasshopper

Christopher Miller
03-02-2009, 09:38 PM
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m244/CAMiller290/BPN/P8150042ResizeWeb.jpg

Took this last year. This grasshopper was being shy and trying to hide from me. Does the OOF fence post it's sitting on bother you? I know I probably should have shot this with a higher f-stop to get more DOF, but not much I can do about that now. Any C&C are welcome!

Olympus SP-550 UZ
f3.5 @ 1/100, ISO 100, -0.7 EV
Program mode, pattern metering, auto WB, natural light
Processed in PS CS2; cropped, curves adjustment, S/H, saturation increase, noise reduction, and sharpened

denise ippolito
03-03-2009, 11:05 AM
Christopher, I am not crazy about the OOF post but I like your grasshopper-he does look shy. I do see some noise -but your little guy has good details. Thanks for sharing such an interesting image.

Ed Vatza
03-03-2009, 07:13 PM
Hi Chris,

I think your background looks good. There may be a bit of noise there but not too bad on my monitor.

The post does distract me a bit.

And the hopper... well he just makes me smile! :)

Julie Kenward
03-03-2009, 07:55 PM
If the post had been lower down on his body so his entire face was visible I think I would have overlooked it easier. He is a cute one! I bet f5.6 would have got you the depth you wanted to get the entire bug in focus but still left you with a nice BG. Oh well...there's always this year!

Christopher Miller
03-03-2009, 08:42 PM
Thanks for the comments. I'll have to remember to use a higher f-stop next time. I can't wait for spring to come so there are insects to photograph again!

Mike Moats
03-04-2009, 08:50 AM
Hey Christopher, I agree, can't wait for spring to pop. I have to go along with the rest on the post, it's a little overpowering. You did very well on the head focus and the BG.