PDA

View Full Version : "that which we call a rose

Ed Vatza
03-02-2009, 09:13 PM
By any other name would smell as sweet." Shakespeare

Do you know which work?

This rose is for Julie who expressed concern that I might be headed for the dark side... birds! :eek::D

Same set up as yesterday's rose: Canon 30D; Sigma 70mm Macro lens; Canon 430 EX Flash w/ LumiQuest Softbox handheld; Velbon UltraLuxi tripod.

But I opened up the aperture a bit here: 1/4 sec @ f/5.6; ISO 100; 0 EV; FEC -1

Dave Mills
03-02-2009, 10:08 PM
Hey Ed...VERY NICE! I like this better than the previous post. You've got the lighting down on this and the flower fills the frame nicely. The square crop doesn't bother me at all...Good job

denise ippolito
03-03-2009, 11:06 AM
Ed, I totally agree w/ Dave-This is stunning!!! Colors and details spot -on!!

Julie Kenward
03-03-2009, 07:53 PM
I'll take a flower any way I can get one...especially one that is that gorgeous! Wow, Ed...it's so beautifully lit. You've come so far in the past year it's really incredible. Now we've gotta get you to leave those birds alone and get some of this great stuff 'funked up' for the OOTB forums!!! :D:D:D

Ed Vatza
03-04-2009, 06:00 AM
Now we've gotta get you to leave those birds alone and get some of this great stuff 'funked up' for the OOTB forums!!! :D:D:D

I understand what you're saying here and your intent as well as the meaning of :D:D But my concerns are best summed up in the following quote from Mike that I picked up from another post.

... the one thing I've learn through contact with thousands of art buyers and many photographers at my art shows is that most are not very art savvy and in most cases don't get or understand abstract or subtle artistic thoughts that go into an image like this. I've given up on showing most of my artistic images through the shows as they just don't sell. My best selling images are the ones with everything in focus of something that they can easily recognize. I have a nice soft focus shot of a Trililum flower and I overheard a women tell her friend, look this ones not even in focus, but she just didn't understand it was meant that way. When I do happen to sell one of my abstract images it's usually someone that will tell me about art classes they took in college or that they are somehow in the business of art, and they pick up right away on your more artistic work, but this doesn't happen very often.

Since this is a hobby that I hope to turn into a part-time business in my "retirement", I find myself focusing more on honing my skills in areas that are more likely to sell at those art shows on the green. Therefore I have shied away from the OOTB, more artistic images.

I have a woman who I work with who is very artistically inclined - as a matter of fact she makes jewelry. She has also been one who has been encouraging me all along to take my photography out into the world and sell. I know she is a sample of one but I find the more abstract or just macro the image, the less enthusiastic she is about it. The more clearly defined the image, the more she likes it.

So there obviously is a lot of truth in what Mike is saying. Not that I doubted him on it. That said, I am sure that even Mike and you, Julie, must get tired of seeing flower images of this type. I think we all long to push the creativity envelope farther than we have.

Mike Moats
03-04-2009, 08:59 AM
He Ed, your doing a great job on the lighting. You are right Ed, that we as photographers are just not as impressed with the straight up flower shots, but that's because we see some many of them on all the nature photography sites in cyberspace. You have to remember that your customers don't view the volume of images that we do, so to them these are impressive images.

massimomossi
03-04-2009, 05:10 PM
Ed--such a classic image--well presented and well seen! This applies to your previous post, as well.

Very elegant.

Massimo