PDA

View Full Version : Hawk From Flamingo

Grady Weed
03-02-2009, 06:58 PM
I caught this young hawk while heading back in to Anhinga from Flamingo, about 1/2 mile up the road on the left side going North. It was a fitting end to a long trip and a great time. Imaged about 30 feet away and about 20 feet up on this dead tree top. It let me get off about a dozen frames. Shifted, then flew to the other side of the road and continued hunting for dinner. So I let him be.

Specs: 85% of frame left here, cropped for a 9x12 print. Hand held, Canon EOS-1D Mark II N, Shooting Date/Time: 2/13/2009 11:53:21, Shutter Speed 1/2500Sec. Av(Aperture Value) F8.0, Evaluative metering, Exposure Compensation -1/3, ISO 320, Lens: EF300mm f/2.8L IS USM +2.0x, Focal Length: 600.0 mm.

Doug Brown
03-02-2009, 08:06 PM
Nice job Grady! Exposure looks good. I might opt for a slight saturation boost and some additional sharpening of the head. I might also add a little canvas on the left and up top. I wish the tip of the beak didn't get lost in the shadow. I like this image a lot, in spite of the suggestions.

Axel Hildebrandt
03-02-2009, 10:02 PM
I like the pose and eye contact and would give it more room top and bottom and sharpen the bird more. I agree on the saturation boost.

Randy Stout
03-03-2009, 11:32 AM
Grady:

A very fine bird. My wish list is pretty much related to sun angle consequences.
The bill merging with the shadow, the darker area of the abdomen. Obviously, he didn't give you a chance to work on that aspect, before he flew.

The tiny catchlight really perks up his eye. I do agree with Axel and Doug about more room, esp. on the top for me.

Thanks for sharing.

Randy