PDA

View Full Version : Pyramid Point 2

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
03-02-2009, 05:42 PM
I did get in the water with this shot as I had my swamp boots on. I shot this with another lens and in 10 below lens changing in water is not fun. I got both bluffs this time Empire Bluffs and Pyramid point. Tried to get the ice shelf leading to the bluffs but my boots were not high enough to get across the river.

Across the river is where the piping plovers have a nest in the summer and they have guards around the nest to keeps coons and skunks from eating the eggs.

Canon 1D Mk2, Canon 17-40mm , f/13@1/20, 1 EV, ISO 100, AV mode, tripod with rrs-55 head.

Paul Marcellini
03-02-2009, 08:17 PM
I am sure this was quite interesting to the eye but I am left wanting a stronger interest or focus point. I wouldn't be caught dead in that weather so bravo for that. Maybe try getting lower and closer to the ice edges and focusing on textures as a foreground.

Dave Mills
03-02-2009, 09:42 PM
Hi Dennis...I've been studying this image and like how you minimalized the sky and looked for a leading line to take you out to the mountains. Whats weakening the image is a vast portion of the frame is devoted to water that by itself is not holding interest. Also the right hand snow bank(leading line) is taking you out to a mountain range which is very minimal in the image.

Robert Amoruso
03-03-2009, 07:28 AM
Dennis,

I would agree with the commentators above. Looks great when you are standing there, but how do you make an image that holds the viewer's interest. We all are faced with this dilemma. Looking at this image, I find the frozen bank interesting and may have tried a close-up of that concentrating on the details. I see a big rock on the beach in the BG - would that have made an interesting FG subject to balance the BG?

You did well placing the leading line (shore bank) in the image to lead the viewer to the mountains.

Roman Kurywczak
03-03-2009, 08:49 AM
Hey Curly,
I'm afraid I agree with all of the above........but Paul's gotta' give you some bonus points if he won't even go out in that! What Paul???.....to cold for flip flops?

You'll be happy to know Curly that we got 8 inches of snow yesterday......and you must have sent the cold this way.....it's in the teens.

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
03-03-2009, 10:29 AM
I guess I was trying to get the sand bluffs to show as most the time they have no contrast, just blah so with the snow I trying to get them into some sort of frame but the sub zero weather must have numbed my brain.

Hey Roman, It has been 12 below the last two mornings and I hope it moves your way as it is too cold, I have 4 road kill deer (local CO brought them to my house and made my wife real happy having dead deer in her yard) out for bobcat and eagles and sitting in a blind in zero weather is not my idea for relaxation.

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
03-03-2009, 08:14 PM
I cropped this getting the ice shelf close then with all my strength moved the rock.

Robert Amoruso
03-04-2009, 07:03 PM
I like your humor Dennis. I feel this crop strengths the image nicely. The ice is clearly scene, makes for a goo leading and the bluff is much more prominent. Well done.