PDA

View Full Version : How did he take these photos?

Desmond Chan
03-02-2009, 02:34 AM
With 420mm. Bait? Blind?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/winnu/page2/

A bald eagle this close:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/winnu/3320284969/sizes/l/

Magnus Thornberg
03-02-2009, 03:17 AM
I think they using blind and bait! Then it seems that the images are
heavily cropped!
I
also think that the images can be from a Zoo!

/
Magnus

Gerald Kelberg
03-02-2009, 08:27 AM
I think the answer can be found if you read his profile on Flicka - he's single! :)

This means that unlike many of us he has lots of time to engage his passion, get out in the field and do all the hard work that it takes to build up a portfolio like that.

To me, suggesting that it is down to a blind, bait or local zoo is a bit like putting it down to his having a "really good camera". The secret is skill, hard work and talent.

He also makes reference to using a kayak, so perhaps that assists in getting close to some of the shore birds, waders and herons, too.

Gerald

Alfred Forns
03-02-2009, 04:20 PM
Hi Desmond

At Homer you could get that close to eagles ... at least you used to !!! The more amazing images are from the Kestrel !!!

Axel Hildebrandt
03-02-2009, 04:23 PM
He might have used the car as a blind for the kestrels. Have you asked him? He might be willing to share his technique.

Desmond Chan
03-03-2009, 10:03 PM
Thanks for the replies !

I asked him where if the birds were captive and where he photographed them (specifically the kestrel). He said they were not captive and only told me the area where he found them (a large area by the way). When I asked for specifics, he simply did not respond to my message.

Axel Hildebrandt
03-03-2009, 11:12 PM
Some people can be quite territorial, who knows for what reason.

Desmond Chan
03-04-2009, 09:14 PM
OK, one guy I know has found out where that kestrel is. He took a couple of shots of it yesterday. He said at one time the kestrel landed so close to him that he had to move back to take the shot. I'll go look for it !