PDA

View Full Version : GHO-HDR #2

Dan Brown
03-02-2009, 12:05 AM
My first GHO-HDR posted yesterday really didn't work for me. This version seems more acceptable:). Shot a Yolo Basin Wildlife Area, Yolo co, Ca. I used Photomatix to process 5 captures and PS CS3 to adjust further.

Camera Model: NIKON D200
Aperture: 4.5
Exposure mode: Av
Flash: Off
Metering mode: Multi-segment
ISO: 400
Lens: VR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D
Focal length: 80mm

Paul Marcellini
03-02-2009, 09:18 AM
I'm not sure the HDR improves this. I think for this, just metering for the sky and going silhouette on the twigs might be better. Comp wise, I might crop at about "lee" and on the left to eliminate the third tree coming into frame. I like how you are thinking outside the box, just keep working on it. =)

Roman Kurywczak
03-02-2009, 09:30 AM
Hey Dan,
Either you are the fasted photographer in the west (I just posted a reply to the earlier version)....or you were reading my minnd!.....I like this one better compositionally and agree with Paul on the left side crop. Now.....if I can just get you to get the top of those trees in.....with a hair more base (I think the reeds will add to the environmental aspect)......would then work more of a critterscape. go vertical!

Robert Amoruso
03-02-2009, 05:13 PM
Dan,

This is more of what I had in mind when you did the first post. With the cropping suggestions above, you have a good looking image.

Dan Brown
03-03-2009, 12:42 AM
Thanks guys for the guidance! I exposed a few for the BG and let the trees/owl go black but the BG was not nearly a "dynamic". The repost reflects the crop suggestions. Unfortunately, I have no tree tops:o