PDA

View Full Version : This Bud's For You!

Ed Vatza
03-01-2009, 09:02 PM
I picked up a couple of roses today and started to play around with off-shoe flash - moving it around and comparing the effects. I had the flash coming from the left, coming from the right, coming from above, coming from below. I didn't try the back only because my arms weren't long enough.

Canon 30D; Sigma 70mm Macro lens; Canon 430 EX Flash w/ LumiQuest Softbox handheld; Velbon UltraLuxi tripod.

5 sec @ f/22; ISO 100; -1/3 EV; FEC -1

Julie Kenward
03-01-2009, 09:39 PM
Beautiful Ed! I seriously wouldn't have thought "flash" except for the all black BG. The lighting is so pretty it looks like sun is shining in through a window and hitting it. Good details and gorgeous to look at. Seriously, I can almost smell it!

Dave Mills
03-01-2009, 11:23 PM
Ed....beautiful job with the lighting! also like the fact that the rose is on a diagonal...

Roman Kurywczak
03-02-2009, 10:41 AM
Hey Ed,
Nicely hanndled with the lighting. You need an assistant for the backlighting (I have to get me one of those too!). I prefer this bud over the "other" drinking variety(not really a beer IMO)........nicely done on the diagonal as Dave mentioned...simple.....yet very effective.

Steve Maxson
03-02-2009, 05:51 PM
Striking colors and light, Ed. It does not look flashed at all to me. I also like the diagonal comp. Well Done.

Gus Cobos
03-02-2009, 06:57 PM
Hi Ed,
I like the composition, image and diagonal capture...the color rendition is superb, and the texture makes the rose come alive...the use of the dark background compliments your subject well...and you gave it just the right amount of light to showcase this beautiful lady...well done Sir...looking forward to your next capture...:cool:

denise ippolito
03-02-2009, 07:13 PM
Ed, Nice colors and details I really like the black BG. The simplicity of this makes it special.

Mike Moats
03-02-2009, 10:15 PM
Hey Ed, great lighting and good work on the details. Well done.

Ed Vatza
03-03-2009, 07:21 PM
Thanks all. I really appreciate the critiques, comments and feedback. I was very happy with how the lighting worked for these images.