PDA

View Full Version : Dunlin

David DesRochers
03-01-2009, 07:17 PM
I found this Dunlin (correct me if I'm wrong on the bird ID) among the rocks in Barnaget NJ. Canon 40D, 500 MM lens with 1.4 extender, ISO 800 1/800 sec, F/8, Gitzo tripod with wimberly head, center point focus.

Randy Stout
03-01-2009, 09:37 PM
David:

The bird is sharp with nice detail in the feathers, I like the ripples around the beak.
The head is turned just a bet away, and the body is angled just a tiny bit away. A small step to your left would have improved the head angle, and perhaps framed the head a bit better against the water. A slightly lower angle, you getting lower, might improve it a bit. That isn't always possible of course.

The water appears a bit oversaturated, but obviously you were there and can be a better judge. It just makes you think about it.

Keep them coming!

Randy

Axel Hildebrandt
03-01-2009, 09:43 PM
Great moment captured. I like the ripples and details. I agree with Randy regarding angle, head angle and saturation.

Very nice avatar, BTW.

Arthur Morris
03-02-2009, 06:09 AM
I am not as keen on this image as the previous posters. First off, the BKGR probelmatic and you are looking down on the bird from above. More importantly, the lower half of the bird including the lower half of the bird's face is in shadow. For me this is an image killer and I am not sure why it was not mentioned above. Lastly, the bird, and the bird's head are angled away from you.

It is a Dunlin (in worn first winter plumage).

David DesRochers
03-02-2009, 07:21 AM
Thank you. All good points. The water was very blue. I even reduced the blue saturation a bit.