PDA

View Full Version : Florida Travel Update! And questions?

Brandon Holden
03-01-2009, 04:38 PM
I've made my way down to Florida! Having a great time.

Spent a day at St. Augustine Alligator Farm (apparently just getting started) but had a good time getting Mating Wood Storks, Great Egrets, Green Heron and Yellow-crowned Night Heron etc. A decent number of birds (and more species) arrived in the afternoon, but I had to leave at 5:45! (closing).

Next day was at Gatorland, and had a great time. Mike was very helpfull. I found both the morning and afternoon to be excellent for photography. Snowy/Great Egrets nesting (some GREG with chicks), Wood Storks and Anhingia's on the far shore. Thousands of birds came in at dusk to roost.

Fort DeSoto for 3 days was next. "Red" Reddish Egrets (3 birds, but typically 1 at a time) were very exciting for me! A single White Morph was seen one evening (photos - crazy story, will tell it later) and morning (no photos). Snowy Egrets, Little Blue, Tricoloured Heron, White Ibis all very cooperative and usually present in the Lagoon North of the North Beach. Lots of shorebirds around. A pair of Oystercatchers are around and occasionally mating, Wilson's/Piping Plovers were exciting for me, and usually around (esp. at/near high tide). A single Royal Tern was in breeding plumage (99% aren't), 1 Laughing Gull in high breeding condition (about 50% have the dark hoods). 2 Swallow-tailed Kites allowed for some underside flight photos mid-day on the 27th. This morning I was very happy to photograph an adult Spoonbill in a small pond North of the park, at a golf course.

Will be at Little Estro Lagoon tomorrow morning (and possibly/probably afternoon), and maybe a day or two after! Still thinking about going down to the everglades, then stopping at these locations on my way back up! I will probably also make it to get the Cape Coral Burrowing Owls, but im not sure when!

I was wondering if anyone knew if the Great White Heron still hangs out around Blind Pass? Another question I had is if Ding Darling NWR is worth a visit or not? I've heard a lot of reports saying it just isn't very good anymore!

Also wanted to say thanks for all the help I got earlier in planning this trip! If anyone has any other tips on where to visit, let me know!

Happy Shooting!

Brandon

James Parker
03-01-2009, 09:23 PM
Brandon, If you go to south Florida I would go to Corkscrew swamp near Immokalee. Get there early 7:30 it opens and I would be surprised if you didn't have a great day. Jim

Alfred Forns
03-01-2009, 10:05 PM
Hi Brandon

Glad your having a great time !! .. it will continue !!

Blind pass has changed since it is not a pass anymore ...after the storm. They are currently working to open up. Nothing much going on there. Ding has had some good days and bad days. Overall much better than in previous years and always good to take a look !!

The Everglades are hot right now Water levels are down and lots of birds at Anhinga trail, also all the way down at Flamingo. At Echo Pond (Flamingo) we have some spoons roosting for the night, stilts and others. Plus lots of Ospreys. Can find them just past the Marina on the road you come in. Marina will be on your left Ospreys on your right .. keep going and the nests start about one hundred yards past.

Regarding the suggestion by James on Corkscrew I'm not so sure. Last couple of times I was there this year there was not much going on and you need to hit that place with heavy overcast. Basically need a little luck !!

Good luck at Estero ... work the East end in the morning Should be great !!!