PDA

View Full Version : Pyramid Point

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
03-01-2009, 03:16 PM
This was shot at Sleeping Bear National Park from the Platte River looking at Pyramid Point. I was looking for white-wing scooters but was iced in as it was 10 below yesterday.

Canon 1D Mk2, Canon 70-200 2.8 IS , f/22@1/30, -1/3 EV, ISO 100, AV mode, tripod with rrs-55 head.

Fabs Forns
03-01-2009, 05:43 PM
Dennis, I have a problem with not finding a definite point of interest in the image, although the whole scene is very pleasant. There's a definite magenta cast, easy to correct in color balance.
Keep them coming.

Randy Stout
03-01-2009, 06:50 PM
Dennis:

If the subject is in fact the point of land in the background, I wonder if a step or two to your left, would have framed it a bit better between the two banks in the foreground, and directed our attention there. Again, assuming the above re; point of interest, I would crop a bit off the top, as the negative space up there doesn't add much, IMHO.

Just my .02

Randy

Roman Kurywczak
03-02-2009, 09:21 AM
Hey Curly,
I have to agree with above as the distant mountains aren't that strong impact wise.....but the s-curve you had going was the right choice. I will offer another possibility...getting lower/closer to that s-curve and using it as the focal point leading us to the mountains. Often times I just walk around with my camera in hand looking how each vantage point looks by getting lower or closer to the subject that caught my eye and then explore all the different comp possibilities. I think you were on the right track.....and anyone who goes out at 10 below....deserves credit for that at least!
BTW....we got about 5 inches of snow last night with another 5 expected today before it's all over!

Robert Amoruso
03-02-2009, 11:17 AM
A crop from the top will definitely help to strengthen the impact of the mountain. As mentioned, including the s-curve was a good move.