03-01-2009, 01:32 PM
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u314/erding/Landscape/IMG_3124-Edit.jpg

Another winter view of the Gulfoss waterfall, Iceland

Technical: Canon 5D, Canon 16-35 f/2.8 Mk2, ISO 400, f/2.8, 1/250, 0 EV

C&C welcome

Thank you for looking

Dave Mills
03-01-2009, 04:33 PM
Tom, The little early light you have here is quite nice however I might have waited and got more of the image in that light. For my taste there is too much of the image in shadow. Compositionally the image seems out of balance to me and I would have cropped out part of the sky.(a little above the small center white cloud) While the sky is interesting, not all of it is...

Fabs Forns
03-01-2009, 05:46 PM
I like the color, but as Dave, I feel I want more, probably in the way of foreground, one extra inch, if you have it, would give more grounding. And some curve lifting won't hurt either.
Thanks for sharing such beautiful place.

Tom Dolezal
03-02-2009, 03:47 AM
Thank you Dave and Fabs for your comments and suggestions.

I have re-edited and tried to incorporate these suggestions as below:

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u314/erding/Landscape/IMG_3124-Edit-2.jpg

It is actually late afternoon light. At this time of year Iceland only has a short daylight period and due to its latitude the sun is always low in the sky and sunrays are very horizontal and golden. Hence large areas of that gorge are always in shade during that time of year and it is the interplay of the shade and sunlight which I was looking to capture in this image.

Roman Kurywczak
03-02-2009, 09:13 AM
Hi Tom,
Nice job on the re-post as you subtly brought out some nice details inthe FG. I like the way the FG leads you with the curve to the frozen falls. I may have tried this with a smaller f-stop...to try and get more of the FG in focus.....but in this case the softness isn't that distracting and works well leading me through the image. Nicely done.
PS I think I liked the first sky better crop wise....just seems to flow better

Paul Marcellini
03-02-2009, 09:22 AM
The repost is nice, but like Roman, I wanted a bit more blue with the sky. I like the leading line of the canyon and of course the nice light catching the rocks.

Robert Amoruso
03-02-2009, 11:15 AM
Not too much to add. Agree with adding more on the bottom but bring back the sky.

Tom Dolezal
03-02-2009, 11:42 AM
Hi Tom,
Nice job on the re-post as you subtly brought out some nice details inthe FG. I like the way the FG leads you with the curve to the frozen falls. I may have tried this with a smaller f-stop...to try and get more of the FG in focus.....but in this case the softness isn't that distracting and works well leading me through the image. Nicely done.
PS I think I liked the first sky better crop wise....just seems to flow better

Thanks for your comments and suggestions Roman much appreciated - I don't need much encouragement to go back there. :D

A revision of that edit with full sky is:

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u314/erding/Landscape/IMG_3124-Edit-3.jpg

My preference is for the full sky version.

Tom Dolezal
03-02-2009, 11:43 AM
The repost is nice, but like Roman, I wanted a bit more blue with the sky. I like the leading line of the canyon and of course the nice light catching the rocks.

Thank you Paul - hope you like the edit in the reply to Roman.

Tom Dolezal
03-02-2009, 11:45 AM
Not too much to add. Agree with adding more on the bottom but bring back the sky.

Thanks for your comments Robert - very much appreciated.

Unfortunately there is no more available at the bottom of the frame.

José Rodríguez
03-04-2009, 01:50 PM
Agree with Robert, but anyway a sweet compo. When I was there for a week 3 years ago, I wasn´t still hooked to photography, so incredibly I have no photos of Iceland, but I remember it as a landscapers paradise.
And you shot remind me clearly those moments... so great job!

Arthur Morris
03-15-2009, 08:17 PM
Good discussion above. I wish only that the light were on the falls (though I realize that that may not possible in winter. I marvel at the fact that on my visit to Iceland I was standing down on that now icy flat area!

Tom Dolezal
03-16-2009, 12:19 AM
Agree with Robert, but anyway a sweet compo. When I was there for a week 3 years ago, I wasn´t still hooked to photography, so incredibly I have no photos of Iceland, but I remember it as a landscapers paradise.
And you shot remind me clearly those moments... so great job!

Thanks for your comments José - very much appreciated. Sounds like you'll have to return there with your camera. :D

Tom Dolezal
03-16-2009, 12:26 AM
Good discussion above. I wish only that the light were on the falls (though I realize that that may not possible in winter. I marvel at the fact that on my visit to Iceland I was standing down on that now icy flat area!

Appreciate you popping in and commenting Art - thank you.

At that time of year the sun is very low in the sky - hence the low horizontal sunlight - so direct sunlight does not land on the falls itself.

With the ice on the path bellow only the brave venture along it for a closer look at the falls - which is good, for me, as I was able to get this shot 'people free'.