PDA

View Full Version : injured American Tree Sparrow

John Chardine
03-01-2009, 01:12 PM
Little appears wrong with the bird in this image but it was suffering from something- maybe a hawk attack or disease. Anyway, I was able to approach with my 100mm macro lens and photograph at < 1 metre away (this was the only lens I had with me at the time). I hope the bird survives.

I cropped, cleaned up the bill and little, adjusted Levels, and removed a couple of seeds from the snow. The 5D and 100mm macro is a seriously sharp combination so did not have to sharpen that much in PP. This is the first time I have photographed this species and I wanted to put up a "photo-lifer" on BPN of course!

Canon EOS 5D, 100mm f2.8 macro USM
capture date: Sunday, 1 March, 2009 12:50 PM
exposure program: Aperture Priority
ISO speed: 400
shutter speed: 1/1600
aperture: f4.0
exposure bias: +0.7
metering: Pattern
flash: OFF

Randy Stout
03-01-2009, 01:36 PM
John:

Nice soft colors in bird. Very effective DOF use. I find the combination of the image and the back story makes me sad, as I doubt he will survive in the obviously cold climate.

Randy

Judy Lynn Malloch
03-01-2009, 02:08 PM
Looks like a lovely painting John and in this case I like the angle of capture and the very striking composition. It has a very artistic look and I love the presentation. It is sad to read your background history on this little bird as all appears so beautiful.

John Chardine
03-01-2009, 02:22 PM
Thanks Judy Lynn and Randy. My friend has decided to take the bird in and provide seed and water in a quiet, warmish (for him or her) environment. We will see what happens.

Ramon M. Casares
03-01-2009, 08:44 PM
Best of luck to your friend then John, let's hope for the best. Beatufull bird and great shot, lovely light, ambient, and detail!! Congratulatinos!