PDA

View Full Version : Okawango Buffalo

beykirch
03-01-2009, 04:43 AM
Thought that one works much better in B&W. It's from June 2006 at Stanley's Camp in Botswana. The big bull was watching us as we approached the herd very slowly.

http://www.seehase-beykirch.homepage.t-online.de/Buffalo.jpg

Canon EOS 20D, EF 4.0/300L IS, 1.4II Extender, f6.3, 1/125, ISO400, cropped from top an bottom.

All comments are welcome

Bernd

denise ippolito
03-01-2009, 07:31 AM
Bernd, This is a very nice composition and I agree it works well as a b&w. It might look good w/ a little off the left side to put your main subject in the ROT. since he is already missing body parts. I find the weeds above his head a bit distracting. But those are minor. I think the feel of this is great and the light on the buffalo and the grass is lovely-Well done!!!

Julie Kenward
03-01-2009, 09:07 AM
I agree with Denise on the crop - maybe take it to the halfway point on the first buffalo in the grass on the left. I rather like the flowers/weeds above his head - it adds a bit of whimsey to a bull that was trying to intimidate you.

The conversion is very nice - good tonal range and the focus is right at the exact place it needs to be. I think possibly burning and dodging a few small places on the bull's face might set it off even more and add another white/black to the image. Totally your call - what you have here is excellent. I feel like I am right in the field with you.

Roman Kurywczak
03-01-2009, 09:21 AM
Hi Berhard,
Very good advice given above......I will add....I may add just a bit on the bottom back....not much as I like the crop....just a bit more (I'm talking about 1/4 to 1/2 inch tops) .....to give the "virtual" buffalo legs some space. Nicely done!

Randy Stout
03-01-2009, 01:16 PM
Bernd:

The shot really establishes the environment they live in well. This bull doesn't look like someone you would want to mess with. If you could pull up a bit more detail from the bulls face, that would be interesting.

Thanks

Randy

Harold Davis
03-04-2009, 06:48 PM
agree with the above suggestions. the addition of the slither to the bottom will help!! i love the conversion. nice job!