PDA

View Full Version : Virginia Locations

Mike Davies
02-28-2009, 10:17 PM
Hi all, I am a new member and recently discovered a love for wildlife/bird photography and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for Virginia or the vicinity. I ran a search but didn't find anything. I live in Richmond but I am willing to travel several hours if you have a location that you recommend. I just registered and checked out the site and I'm excited to have found this place. I'm assuming Va would fall under the South East. Thanks, Mike.

Don Saunders
03-02-2009, 06:11 PM
You have some awesome locations to choose from. Chincoteague NWR, Blackwater NWR, and Eastern Neck NWR are three great locations for birds and other wildlife. Shenandoah NP is great for landscapes, wildflowers, and wildlife - especially deer birthing fawns at Big Meadows around Memorial Day. For tens of thousands of Large-flowered Trilliums go to George Thompson WMA (near Sky Meadows SP) in mid to late April. For a change of pace, travel to WV - Seneca Rocks, Dolly Sods, Blackwater Falls SP to name a few.

Mike Davies
03-02-2009, 09:41 PM
Thanks very much Don! That should keep me busy for a while.

Jared Lloyd
03-03-2009, 08:30 AM
Head down to the Oute Banks for birds. Pea Island hold a phenomanal number of wading birds throughout the spring summer and early fall. Bald eagles nest in your backyard along the James river. Ask around your local birding club and find the location of one of these or a couple of osprey nests and you can set yourself up for bird in flight photography as they come to and from the nest (just dont get too close to the nest). Big Meadows as noted above is a great location even after memorial day - its usually not untill late June that the females feel comfortable bringing their fawns out into the open up there. Back in NC there is the Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge which has the highest concentration of black bears east of the Rocky Mountains. Late summer and through the Fall I usually will see betwen 8 and 15 bears while I'm out there.

I live on the Outer Banks, so if you ever have any questions about there area do not hesitate to ask.

Jared Lloyd
www.JaredLloydphoto.com (http://www.JaredLloydphoto.com)
Photo Journal (http://www.jaredlloydphoto.wordpress.com)

Mike Davies
03-06-2009, 10:12 PM
Thank you Jared. Great suggestions and I look forward to checking them out. Much appreciated!