PDA

View Full Version : Northern Hawk Owl

Grady Weed
02-28-2009, 03:16 PM
Northern Hawk Owl: Medium-sized, slender owl with white-spotted brown upperparts and brown-barred white under parts. Gray facial disk is partially bordered by a thick, brown stripe that extends to upper breast; lacks ear tufts. Wings are long and relatively pointed. Tail is long and rounded. Sexes are similar. Found across <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comhttp://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/ /><st1:country-region w:st=</st1:country-region>Canada and central and eastern <st1:State w:st="on"><ST1:pAlaska</ST1:place</st1:State>. During winter months, there is some southward movement to the northernmost states. Prefers edges of burns, open areas cleared by lumbering, and sparse woodlands.

The Northern Hawk Owl is also known as the Canadian Owl and Hudsonian Hawk Owl. They have little fear of humans, and will attack if their young are approached too closely. Their feathers are stiff, unlike those of nocturnal owl species. This means their flight is not completely silent. A group of owls has many collective nouns, including a "bazaar", "glaring", "parliament", "stooping", and "wisdom" of owls.
<O:p</O:p

Hand held resting somewhat on the top of a van roof. Very windy, cold. I frequent a site called http://mainebirding.net (http://mainebirding.net). It has lots of information on Maine birds and current sightings of rare species. I noticed this "Northern Hawk Owl" sighting near my home, about 30 minutes away. I drove over and right up to where he was hunting from. It stayed on the telephone wire for 10 minutes till the homeowner drove off. It flew to a nearby barn roof and began hunting from there. I asked the homeowner if I could park in the driveway and use the van to rest my lens on. She laughed and said "sure". She also said it had been in the area for some time, which I knew. So I plan to go back and take more images, maybe closer to the ground and at eye level, that would be even nicer.

Canon EOS-1D Mark II N, Shooting Date/Time: 2/28/2009 13:10:00, Shutter Speed 1/800Sec. Av(Aperture Value) F6.3, Evaluative metering, Exposure Compensation +2, ISO 400, Lens: EF300mm f/2.8L IS USM +2.0x, Focal Length: 600.0 mm. Almost 65% of frame left here. Cropped for a 9x12 print.

Bob Malbon
02-28-2009, 05:21 PM
Grady, Nice capture! Was it cloudy? WOW, I see the time stamp - you just took this one! AT 13:10 I was prowling the coast with full sun but could see it coming!! Could use a bit of light around the left eye. I love the pose showing lots of Owl and a great perch. Most images from this NHO are on the wire. Glad to see a little blood on the leg - means the NHO is eating! Bob

Axel Hildebrandt
02-28-2009, 07:31 PM
Great to have this so close to home. I like the eye contact and would sharpen the bird more. I hope you will get a chance to photograph more often.

Grady Weed
02-28-2009, 07:34 PM
I believe the time stamp is inaccurate. I will have to re-set it. I took it at close to 12 noon. It was very cloudy with small amounts of sun peeking in for a few seconds. This owl is over in Hollis, if you want to come over we can image it together. I would hurry because he will most likely leave soon. I see your suggestion on lightening up the eye is a good one. You are correct, most photographers imaging this bird are doing so while it is perched on the telephone or electrical wire or on a wire tower. I noticed, too, the blood on its talon, which meant he just ate. He was still licking his beak as we drove up.

I see I have had 40-something previews on this picture, but only two comments. What gives?

Grady Weed
02-28-2009, 07:45 PM
The head turn is a bit different here on this one. How about the exposure as well? PS: I liked the high key look to this image and drove over the spot and chose this weather because I thought it woud make for a very different image, a rathe nice one. Not o many comment givers however. How come?

Axel Hildebrandt
02-28-2009, 07:56 PM
I see I have had 40-something previews on this picture, but only two comments. What gives?

Saturday night, I guess. :)

I like the pose in the second one. As in the first one, it needs a bit more sharpening.

Mike Lentz
03-01-2009, 07:54 AM
Nice eye contact, Grady. I would give it just a small amount of contrast boost. Nice species to photograph for certain!

Randy Stout
03-01-2009, 01:06 PM
Grady:

I like the head position on the 1st one. Lightening and increasing contrast on the eyes would be nice, as mentioned. I might also increase the general contrast just a bit, to get him to pop out a bit more.

Thanks for posting him!

Randy