PDA

View Full Version : An image, a lasting memory

Grace Scalzo
02-28-2009, 12:08 PM
1/200, f10, ISO800
1Dmk2n, 500 + 2xtc

Sunrise, December 19, 2008, I went to Jones Beach to spend an hour or so looking for and hopefully photographing a snowy owl. Almost immediately I found an owl sitting down by the ocean near a piece of driftwood. Before approaching, I called a good friend of mine to come and join me. Pretty soon he arrived and we enjoyed time with this nice bird in fairly decent, but threatening weather.

Time passed and it began to blow. The owl flew to be closer to the dunes. Then it began to snow. What started out as a couple hour plan quickly turned into all day on the beach in blowing snow, wind, and ice. A day started alone ended up being time spent with a friend and a memory created that will last a lifetime. This wonderful bird allowed us to photograph her nearly all day. From time to time she would fly to a new spot, and my friend created a few images that caused him to do the happy dance right there on the beach. We laughed out loud. A grown man and woman acting like little children.

Finally, soaking wet, cold, and tired, we headed back to our cars, enduring a most difficult walk as ice pelted our faces, making us wish we had ski goggles for protection.

I hold no illusions that this is a great image, or even a good one. What it is for me is a memory of time well spent, leaving all our earthly cares of work, health, family, etc behind on a cold, winter day, and just simply and totally enjoying what Mother Nature offered us that day.

Julie Kenward
03-01-2009, 09:01 AM
Nicely written, Gayle! I found myself smiling as I read it and that means I really connected to the story you were telling.

As for the photo, I think you're being a little hard on yourself. Your composition is wonderful - you've got the owl in a great position and just enough of the scenery around it to make us understand the day you were experiencing. I do think you could use a tweak on the curves - bring up the contrast just a bit more. The snow feels a little bit on the gray side and giving it a little push to white might be all you need to make this image totally stunning.

Very well done. I love it.

denise ippolito
03-01-2009, 09:11 AM
Grace, That is exactly how I feel everytime I get the privilege to watch one of these beauties! You were able to put into words my feelings as I enjoy the day well spent observing! BTW I have enjoyed all of your Snowy Owl posts and appreciate you sharing them!!

Grady Weed
03-03-2009, 08:42 PM
I would give pretty much nearly anything to enjoy a day like that with a bird like this. Well put Grace.

Axel Hildebrandt
03-06-2009, 12:15 PM
I think this is the same bird that I photographed on the 18th. It was the first time that I have seen this species and I understand your happiness very well. Fortunately, it was a little warmer that day.

Grace Scalzo
03-06-2009, 02:30 PM
Axel, absolutely the same bird as yours on the 18th. What a beauty.

Lance Warley
03-10-2009, 04:53 PM
Let me add my voice to the chorus.

The photo is great and your description of being in the moment speaks well for what we all hope to feel.

People who don't do it probably won't get it.

We get it. Big time.

Really good stuff, Grace.