PDA

View Full Version : Giant Tortoise

Amy DeStefanis
02-28-2009, 09:36 AM
Another Giant Tortoise from the Galapagos. This one is captive - at the Darwin Research Center on Santa Cruz. We haven't had the opportunity to see these guys in their natural habitat. But it's possible to walk among them in their enclosures at the Research Center. They have a feeding platform where it's possible to get pretty close and take photos. This one seems to be enjoying the bamboo!

Nikon D80
ISO 800
1/60 sec @ f5.6
Nikon 70-300VR @ 135mm
Handheld
Sharpened, NR and burned in highlights on bamboo (might need to do a little more?) using CS3.

Thanks!
Amy D.

Alfred Forns
02-28-2009, 09:51 AM
I like it a lot Amy These are difficult to photograph Got great detail and love the low angle !!! I'm sure they are well taken care ... can see it in the face !!!

Robert Amoruso
02-28-2009, 12:47 PM
Amy,

I like his smile. I would suggest here that going loser and including the cut leg plus giving more room to the leg on the right would balance the image better. I would then suggest a tight one on the face and a tight one on the right leg - lots of detail in it to be explored.

Sabyasachi Patra
02-28-2009, 01:08 PM
Looks to have lot of character. One can explore lots of crops with these fellows. Looks like a sculpture.

Steve Maxson
02-28-2009, 02:59 PM
Looks like this guy needs a napkin, Amy. :) Good sharpness and exposure and lots of crops to experiment with. I really like all the detail and patterns in its left leg and wish we could see all of the right leg as well.

Amy DeStefanis
02-28-2009, 04:15 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! It's not like I didn't have time to compose several shots (they move pretty slow), but in this case, it was the fellow travelers in the background that I had to work around, so that put the time pressure on....

Fortunately, I'll be able to work on your suggestions in December when we make a return trip (I'm gonna get pictures of those hammerheads yet!). This time I will have my 70-200 2.8 lens with me for some really sharp shots of these amazing creatures!

Amy

Fabs Forns
02-28-2009, 08:18 PM
Hahaha, a salad lover :)
I like the crop as presented, I have one full foot in the frame and the tightness emphasizes the face which is IMO what the image is about. Well done.

Steve Canuel
03-01-2009, 01:53 PM
I like the brightness of the head contrasting with the shadows of the rest of him. Nice detail and texture to explore.

Arthur Morris
03-01-2009, 08:35 PM
I am fine with the one foot all in and the other cut in half. Needs more room above and below. Best advice is to get on a good photographic trip so no worry on the tourists, plus, you get to see and photograph them in the wild, plus lots, lots more benefits.