PDA

View Full Version : Get the point?

Michael Lloyd
02-27-2009, 11:13 PM
I've been itching to do some macro work but there bugs aren't cooperating yet. So I shoot what I can find. I may revisit this image and try for a cleaner background.

EOS 1DsMKII
MP65E w/Ring Flash. -1 EC

ISO 640
1/160s@f11

Julie Kenward
02-28-2009, 09:40 AM
I've got a couple of suggestions, Michael. First, step over to the right next time and put a little separation between the main stem and the tree that's in the BG. It's not so much about having a totally clean BG as it is about finding a pleasing repeating pattern and putting a little space between each component.

Also, I think I'd clean up that stray piece of dead grass near your thorn. Not sure if that's something you feel should be done but I like my focal points as clean as possible so I'd probably clone it out.

Also, I feel a bit more DOF would have worked here - giving the front thorn more of a focus to balance out the other thorn.

I do know the pain of being bored to death this time of year and photographing anything interesting one can find but it's a great time to hone those photography skills and really work on composition when you find something to photograph. Spend quality time scrutinizing your composition when you have a still subject like this and take several photos from different viewpoints and different aperture/speed settings. You never know which one you'll like best until you get them all home!

Michael Lloyd
02-28-2009, 10:02 AM
Good morning Julie,

I agree with all of your points however I would point out that the MP-65E has almost no DOF. I shot the image above at f11 (handheld). I also have (noisier due to higher ISO) shots up to f22. For all intents and purposes there is no appreciable difference in DOF.

The dead grass is actually not grass. It's the beginning of a ball moss "clump".

Thanks for commenting! :)

Mike Moats
03-01-2009, 06:37 AM
Hey Michael, I agree for this image a cleaner BG would work better, bracket shots from different angles and figure out what works best when you get home on the computer.

denise ippolito
03-02-2009, 07:06 PM
Michael, I think you should revisit this image for a cleaner BG. I find the thorn very interesting and I like the colors alot- I think this could be really nice if cropped as an abstract. I can see why your eye was drawn to it. BTW I have enjoyed your Eagle nest shots!!

Michael Lloyd
03-03-2009, 12:07 AM
Thanks Mike and Denise. I'm kind of iffy on the next image. The background is clean but I feel like the spider webs take away and the angle bugs me... but I did go back and shoot another thorn (the colors interested me as well). Since they are only 30' away from my back door I should probably shoot a few more versions. I'n not sure how long or if the colors will be around. Now that I see it on screen, I think it's the lighting difference that makes me not like this one.

Denise- Thanks for the reminder. The Eaglets should be less than two weeks away from "lift-off" I need to get back there one more time. Maybe this week.

denise ippolito
03-03-2009, 12:00 PM
Michael, 30' from your backdoor! I would definitely consider more images!I like the spider webs, they add interest and the lighting is different .I like both colors -would probably crop a bit on the right! Glad you are able to re-shoot these, I think they are full of interest and warrant another shoot!!! Good luck to the fledglings!!!

Michael Lloyd
03-03-2009, 07:58 PM
I thought of this just a little too late. It's a handheld shot semi-sort of facing west into the sunset. I would have liked to have had the time to use a tripod and have a little more light from the horizon to work with. I realize it's not perfect but it does have potential.

1DsMKII
MP65E @1x with ring flash.

ISO 640
1/25s@f11

denise ippolito
03-03-2009, 08:06 PM
Michael, I agree w/ you self critique. It does have great colors!!