PDA

View Full Version : Green Kingfisher (Martín Pescador Chico)

Ramon M. Casares
02-27-2009, 07:50 PM
Hi everybody, this evening I recieved at home this beautifull guy, aparently he hit a window or something like that, I am going to set him free tomorrow in a lagoon near home so let's hope for the best! I am not at all a big fan of images of tamed wildlife, but as this is not the case I thought I would give it a try. Hope you like it!

Shot created under a controled enviroment of course :)

MarkII
50mm
flash + 2 continous lights
1/60 sec
f4.5
iso 400

Doug Brown
02-27-2009, 08:04 PM
It's like shooting fish in a barrel. Kingfishers with a 50mm! Seriously nice job though. Great perch, pose, exposure, and sharpness. I might lighten the iris a little more.

Randy Stout
02-27-2009, 08:07 PM
Ramon:

What a lovely image. Great bird, well exposed, with a very fine perch too!

Hope he is OK.

Randy

Dan Brown
02-27-2009, 08:07 PM
Beautiful specimen Ramon. I hope he makes a full recovery. Your BG and sharpeness are great! As for the composition, I would like to see a bunch cropped off the left side, maybe a square image resulting. If you really like it as posted, moving your signature up to the upper left would help balance that comp. IMO:)

Ramon M. Casares
02-27-2009, 08:20 PM
Thanks guys for your suggestions and thoughts, here's a repost with a slightly diferent crop and other little adjustments, please do tell me wich one you think is better. Thanks again!

Phil Liew
02-27-2009, 08:40 PM
Ramon, brilliant photograph! I like the "lightened" part of the second posting but prefer the initial crop that appears more balanced. Lots of details and great perch as well. Wish you luck with the release of this beauty and hope he comes back for another photo session.!

Stephen Stephen
02-27-2009, 08:49 PM
Ramon lovely image here and the re-worked version is even better. I too hope that the bird survives after it is released.

Bonnie Block
02-27-2009, 09:05 PM
Terrific, Ramon! I like the first crop--but the brightness of the second is more appealing to me. Hope the little guy is OK--but he does look to be so! What a great opportunity.

John Lowin
02-27-2009, 09:06 PM
Sensational image. As a retired Graphic Designer, I find your design sense of the first crop to be outstanding. "Lightened" is a positive, I would combine that with the first crop. I wish you and the bird good luck with the release. A truly striking image. - John

Roman Kurywczak
02-27-2009, 09:28 PM
Hey Ramon,
What a beauty!!!....I'm going to bote for somewhere in between the 2.....but great job on nursing him back to health!!!! I'll keep my fingers crossed for a succesful release.very nicely done!

Mike Milicia
02-27-2009, 09:43 PM
Beautiful bird perfectly captured !

Agree with Roman about the crop. Might like to see the bird moved just a tad further to the right than in the original post but not as far as in the repost.

Axel Hildebrandt
02-27-2009, 09:59 PM
Great details and pose, I hope he is going to make it. I would give it a bit more head room.

Gus Cobos
02-27-2009, 10:34 PM
I like the composition, image and capture on the second one Ramon...The color rendition is dead on, the bird has a sharp eye with a good head angle and sharp details. The drift wood perch is interesting, I like it, its different, out of the ordinary. The soft pastel color hues of the background compliments your subject very well...congrats on a job well done Ramon...looking forward to your next capture...:cool:

Ramon M. Casares
02-27-2009, 11:08 PM
Thank you all VERY much for your kind words and honest suggestions, here's a repost trying to apply what you told me about wanting something between the OP and the RP. Let me know and again, Thanks!!

Dick Glover
02-27-2009, 11:35 PM
I think all three are wonderful, but will vote counter to the rest as I would prefer #1 hanging on my wall.
Dick Glover

Juan Carlos Vindas
02-27-2009, 11:38 PM
Thank you all VERY much for your kind words and honest suggestions, here's a repost trying to apply what you told me about wanting something between the OP and the RP. Let me know and again, Thanks!!
Hello Ramon!

My vote goes for the first and original post. That light captured there is outstanding, may be I just like saturated colors!
I also hope the little guy is going to make it. What a great change to practice.

bob arue
02-28-2009, 01:26 AM
Really nice shot.

Chris van Rooyen
02-28-2009, 07:30 AM
Lovely image, sharp, great exposure, nice posture, just the right amount of contrast!. I like the original post most, VWD:-)

Ramon M. Casares
02-28-2009, 08:07 AM
Thank you all very much guys, I apreciate you concern for the Kingficsher and I apreciate you critiques and suggestions. I wanted just to let you all know that he was released this morning and though a little confused flew away without even looking back :)

Ramon M. Casares
02-28-2009, 08:38 AM
Here's what I hope is the last repost :D I think the contrast is better as well as the comp, preety much like the original post. Thnaks again for your C&C!

Greg Basco
02-28-2009, 08:44 AM
Ramon, great image all around. The last repost is best to my eye. Nice background.

Cheers,
Greg

Lorant Voros
02-28-2009, 10:17 AM
One more vote for the last version. Good luck for the Kingfisher in the new life. I am curious for your set up (your box) to take a studio photo like this one. Nice perch too.

Juan Aragonés
02-28-2009, 11:06 AM
Ramón, last repost is my favourite. Very good job shooting this "indoor" image under such a great light and BG setup. Terrific!

Juan Carlos Vindas
02-28-2009, 03:09 PM
You nail it Ramon, this repost is even better than your first post. Who said that this bird has to have a bright eye??? Kingfishers, not all but the majority have dark eyes, I believe that if we want our work to convince the viewer we must keep the true colors of a given individual.

Gyorgy Szimuly
02-28-2009, 03:54 PM
Yes, agree with Juan, the last one is the best one.
Awesome image Ramón.

Szimi

Ron van Rossum
02-28-2009, 04:29 PM
Wow,congratulations with this one,Ramon !
The first repost is the perfect one (at least for me ;))

Jackie Schuknecht
02-28-2009, 04:32 PM
Very nice Ramon, I'm glad he is OK. Great shot. Not sure which one I like. Guess it would depend on the lighting you were in, there are so many reposts:)

Bill McCrystyn
02-28-2009, 05:32 PM
Congradulations Ramon. I didn't think it could get better - but the last one did. One nice image. Alot of people will enjoy seeing this one well beyond just here. Thanks for sharing and thinking to get the shot!!