02-27-2009, 06:50 PM
Nikon D2X
28 - 105 mm f/3.5 - 4.5 Nikkor Lens
92mm
1/60 sec @ f/7.1, ISO 400
2/26/09 8:11 am
Evaluative Metering - Manual
Post processing digital workflow - Photoshop CS 3
I applied a slight crop to the image after my digital workflow, to give the vision to the viewer that I wanted to present.

http://www.wisconsinphotos.com/gallery/petals/bin/images/large/Weathered_Leaves_7043.jpg

Julie Kenward
02-28-2009, 09:35 AM
Your exposure and colors are very nice Kristin but I have two suggestions.

I wonder if the composition wouldn't be more pleasing if the line down the center were more on the rule of thirds? The reason I say this is because my eye gets halfway across the image and stops cold. I get hung up looking at that vertical line between the two leaves and have to make it move through the image. If the line where on a diagonal across the image or over at the 1/3 position on either side I think it might ease that blunt STOP right in the center of the image.

Also, at f7.1 you can see where the corners are a bit more OOF than the rest of the image. Try stopping down to the f20-32 range if the lighting is good and see if that doesn't pop those corners a bit more. Another option would be to think about adding a vignette around the edges to minimize the fade in detail.

That's just my opinion...let's see what the others think.

Mike Moats
03-01-2009, 06:25 AM
Hey Kristen, these look like a couple of sycamore leaves base on the size of the veins. I like the nice texture and the rich earthtones. For me I don't mind the line in the center, but I would like to see it running on a diagonal rather than straight up and down. As far as the depth of field I think you have some great textures and needs more DOF to bring it all in focus. I think your title suggests the ying and yang, which I see that happening with the right and left leaf being somewhat different in sharpness and in color tones.

Kristen Westlake
03-01-2009, 01:55 PM
HI Jules,

thank you for your opinion. I appreciate it! ..
I also find it very interesting to hear other people's perspectives, which is what makes art so much fun!
I purposely didn't want the corners of this image to be in focus and actually applied a slight vignette via gaussian blur to the edges to fade in and draw the eye in to the fold at the center between the leaves. I think, after hearing what you have said, that I probably could use more vignetting to make my vision of this image more effective.

I originally tried cropping the image to the rule of thirds, as you have suggested, but I believed it made the image less effective. Either side over powered the other and the intention of the message was lost. When I look at the image my eye goes to the center and then I start to notice the veins in one side of the leaf and then the other. I do see each side separately and you stated, the center fold splits the image in two... however, that is what I wanted it to do. The center is the focus point that I want the viewer to be drawn into first and then allowing the viewer to take in the rest of the details at their leisure - kind of like its title, ying and yang leaves.
It is interesting to note though that some viewers may be drawn in to the image at the left and be somewhat bothered or stopped by that middle fold where the two leaves meet. .. I really appreciate your take on this .. thank you!

Kristen Westlake
03-01-2009, 01:57 PM
HI Mike,

Thank you also for your comments. I agree, I think a little more DOF would have brought in more of the detail in the veins of the leaves ...
I was able to finally get internet access to upload my previous response but you also stated what I was trying to say very well..:) thanks!

Mike Moats
03-01-2009, 05:35 PM
Hey Kristen, the one thing I've learn through contact with thousands of art buyers and many photographers at my art shows is that most are not very art savvy and in most cases don't get or understand abstract or subtle artistic thoughts that go into an image like this. I've given up on showing most of my artistic images through the shows as they just don't sell. My best selling images are the ones with everything in focus of something that they can easily recognize. I have a nice soft focus shot of a Trililum flower and I overheard a women tell her friend, look this ones not even in focus, but she just didn't understand it was meant that way. When I do happen to sell one of my abstract images it's usually someone that will tell me about art classes they took in college or that they are somehow in the business of art, and they pick up right away on your more artistic work, but this doesn't happen very often.