PDA

View Full Version : Gull?

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
02-27-2009, 04:59 PM
I am simply no good with gulls can you give me some help. They are most confusing! Took this shot around the Sebastin Inlet on the East Coast of Florida. I have spent the better part of an hour trying to idenitfy this gull with no luck. Help, please.
Mac

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
02-27-2009, 08:28 PM
After a great deal of research my wife and I have decided this is a laughing gull. Are we right?

John Chardine
02-27-2009, 09:04 PM
Gulls are tough Mac so it is understandable that people have problems with ID. The fact that in the early years of their life- 1 to 3 or 4 years of age- they look different every year does not help, and then there is summer and winter plumage.

You are right with this ID, it is a Laughing Gull. It's in non-breeding or winter plumage with a hint that it is moulting into breeding or summer plumage because of the large amount of dusky feathers on the head. It looks like an adult rather than a young bird because it has a nice clean white breast and grey back and wings.

A species that looks similar to this is the Franklin's Gull but I think the bill is too big in your bird and the Florida range fits better with the Laughing.

Any other thoughts from anyone?

Well done on the ID!

Axel Hildebrandt
02-27-2009, 10:16 PM
Looks like a laughing gull to me, too.