PDA

View Full Version : Juxtaposition... Does it work?

David Roach
02-27-2009, 12:42 PM
These beauties were part of a gathering shoreline roost. Whenever there are so many, the challenge is to isolate some (go in close) or pull back (I didn't have my wider angle lens). Also, I look for juxtaposition images like this. Usually same species in same orientation (echo) work best to me. I like the terns chosen spot at the top of this little hill and thought the gull looking back might work? Comments, suggestions and learnings always welcome!
1DMKKIN 400DO ISO 200 F5.6@1/1000

Fabs Forns
02-27-2009, 01:01 PM
Hi David, I think it would work better for me if they were the same species. That's my preference, and would love th hear what others say. Interesting point :)

Judy Lynn Malloch
02-27-2009, 01:47 PM
Hi David, I agree with Fab about them being the same species. I really like the excellent exposure and detail in this image and the mound that the tern is standing on. Looks like nice lighting and good eye contact. Thanks for sharing.

Randy Stout
02-27-2009, 02:54 PM
David:

For it depends on what you are trying to say with the photo. If you are trying to show the variety on the beach, it works nicely. If it is more to serve as a portrait, I would prefer just the one bird. The Tern is very nice, and I like the mound too.

Randy

Axel Hildebrandt
02-27-2009, 03:15 PM
I like the setting and head angle of the tern. I don't mind that it is a different species and that the gull is not stepping on the tern's shadow.

John Chardine
02-27-2009, 03:30 PM
I like this image as is David, except for the high-ish angle. The light and exposure are great. I would have given a bit more room at the top and cropped some from the bottom.

David Roach
02-28-2009, 09:17 AM
Thanks so much for the thoughtful comments!! I think about and learn something on every post! Yes, John, I wanted to get lower, but the waves were threatning my rig as is. The Tern was right at the water line and I was kneeling up to my chest in the water (with a light chop).