PDA

View Full Version : South Florida suggestions?

Jen Howell
02-27-2009, 10:53 AM
Hi all, I'm relatively new on the site - loving all of the inspiring photography. I just posted this in the General photography discussion board, but looking at the regional boards, thought I might get some better advice here.:o

As the upcoming week is spring break for college students (I'm at FAU in Boca), I'm looking forward to a great week of photography expeditions. This is where I would love some suggestions: where should I go, specifically for the birds? I'm a frequent visitor to Green Cay Wetlands and also like to walk around Wakodahatchee Wetlands, although it's getting a bit crowded for my tastes lately and I am looking to expand my "photographic horizons."
I have a small list of birds I would love to see and photograph: high on my list are Reddish Egrets, Roseate Spoonbills, Pied-Billed Grebes w/ chicks, breeding/nesting Great Egrets, and all kinds of shorebirds.
Keeping in mind my location and college student status (no great amount of cash), trips exceeding 150 or so miles would have to be very much worth it.

All suggestions are very, very much appreciated

Fabs Forns
02-27-2009, 11:05 AM
Hi Jen

Big welcome to BPN :)

It sounds like you need to go to Merrit Island National Wildlife refuge to catch the Spoonies. Grebes were with chicks earlier in the month in Viera Wetlands, not far from Merrit. Reddish Egrets need to be in the ocean, so Estero Lagoon, Fort Myers Beach would be a good place for them, in fac, there's a beautiful White Morhp that must be in breeding plumage.

Good luck!

Jen Howell
02-27-2009, 11:21 AM
Thank you so much for your suggestions, Fabs - I can't wait!

Alfred Forns
02-27-2009, 09:16 PM
Jen your best bet is Merrit Island If you are heading over post again and will give some specific info. We also have members that live in the area and will lend a hand !!!

At some point do go to Little Estero but would have to overnight !!!

Robert Amoruso
02-28-2009, 12:59 PM
Jen,

Merritt has been good along Black Point Wildlife Drive with the usual Snowy and Great Egrets, Ibises and Great Blue Herons. I have regularly seen Reddish Egrets there but they are starting to nest and you may not seen them right now. The spoonbills have not been in good locations for photography. I have seen Grebes and checks at Viera Wetlands. You also have Great Blue Herons nesting there and a popular image for me is the Snowy Egrets flying above the water fishing.

I like close by and photograph at both locations often. Email me at wildscapeimages@att.net if you need any specific help with something.

Jen Howell
03-01-2009, 05:04 PM
Thank you very much Robert for all of your suggestions - I'll have to check those out soon.