PDA

View Full Version : South Florida suggestions?

Jen Howell
02-27-2009, 10:41 AM
Hi all, I'm relatively new on the site - loving all of the inspiring photography. As the upcoming week is spring break for college students (I'm at FAU in Boca), I'm looking forward to a great week of photography expeditions. This is where I would love some suggestions: where should I go, specifically for the birds? I'm a frequent visitor to Green Cay Wetlands and also like to walk around Wakodahatchee Wetlands, although it's getting a bit crowded for my tastes lately and I am looking to expand my "photographic horizons."
I have a small list of birds I would love to see and photograph: high on my list are Reddish Egrets, Roseate Spoonbills, Pied-Billed Grebes w/ chicks, breeding/nesting Great Egrets, and all kinds of shorebirds.
Keeping in mind my location and college student status (no great amount of cash), trips exceeding 150 or so miles would have to be very much worth it.

All suggestions are very, very much appreciated. :D:D

Grady Weed
02-27-2009, 11:38 AM
You are from South Florida. The Everglades are right close by and the best place for Egrets, some Spoonbills, Anhinga, Black Crowned Night Herons, Green Herons, American Bittern, Black Vultures, Gators, of course, Cormorants, Osprey's, the list is endless. And Al & Fabs Forns live close to you. They are terrific photographers, also publishers of this site. They also know the glades like the back of their hands, they give photography tours as well. The glades are easily accessible and close to Homestead for a hotel, food etc.

I hope this helps.

Fabs Forns
02-27-2009, 12:36 PM
Thanks, Grady :)

Alfred Forns
02-27-2009, 12:52 PM
Can't go wrong with ENP now both Anhinga Trail and Flamingo are very active. Might also check your driving distance to Ft Myers Beach? Little Estero Lagoon is one of the premier places !!

btw always check in the SE Section We post lots of specific information !!!

Jen Howell
02-27-2009, 04:41 PM
Thank you all for your suggestions - I have quite the list of places to visit :)

Don Lacy
02-28-2009, 08:09 AM
Viera is about 2 hour drive North and always worth the visit drive another 1/2 hour and your at Merrit Island one of the best places on the East Coast to find both Reddish Egrets and Roseates.