PDA

View Full Version : Nikon D300 tracking help

Dave Mills
02-27-2009, 10:22 AM
I could use some advice on tracking with the D300. I seem to have a problem nailing birds in flight. I don't think it's my physical ability and I usually shoot at f8, iso 800 where I get maximum speed. I'm wondering if it's in the custom settings. Would someone who has some expertise in that area please advise me on what their settings are and I'll compare them and make adjustments. I will definately state if I see an improvement. Thanks in advance for the help.

Fabs Forns
02-27-2009, 10:45 AM
Hi Dave,

First, unless it's a huge bird close to you, I'd go for f/5.6 becausse 1/800 is not good enough for me. At least 1/1000, better 1600.

Then, how many points are you using? 51 3D is a pain to work with for BGs. I use 9 or 21 points, with the dynamic setting in the back of the camera. If youo use center points only, you need to acquire and stay on the bird with the center. Dynamic acquieres with the center but it's a little more forgiving.

Then, there is the Focus tracking with lock-on, in the menu under the pencil and under autofocus.
The default is normal, normal acquisition and tracking. Short will acquire faster and would loose faster. Long will take longer to acquire, but will stay on track for longer.

Hope this helps.

Alfred Forns
02-27-2009, 12:48 PM
Dave Solid advice from Fabs Can add I usually have my setting (focus tracking) on short. I like the faster acquisition and feel comfortable keeping the AF point on the bird !!

allanrube
02-27-2009, 02:39 PM
Here in Florida I am using a lot of 51 point (not 51-3D) for birds against clear blue skies. Back home, however, I usually use 9 or 21, especially against less than solid color backgrounds.

I would also move focus to the back button - take it off the shutter.

Dan Brown
02-27-2009, 06:02 PM
I use center point only with my D200 (no D300 yet!). I was using multi point (11?) 3D but was running into the problem that when I had a bird really big in the frame, the 3D would focus on the closest object which even with a blue sky BG can be the wrong object. I wanted the body/eye sharp and instead, I was getting the closest wing sharper than the eye! The 3D was very easy and ok with smaller-in-the-frame birds. Now, after attending the "Flight School" with Jim Neiger, I have practiced the techs he teaches and have been pretty successful, and can stay on the bird pretty good with center point only, even with my 80-400VR, which is not very fast at focusing.

Bill McCrystyn
03-02-2009, 04:35 AM
Hey Dave, I use a D300 with a 70-200 and a 200-400 both with a 1.7X. I find very little difference between the two as far as tracking. AF has nothing to do with shutter speed and everything to do with aperture. The more light (larger ap) the better. I usually shoot at ISO800 unless I can get away with ISO400 for BIF on a bright day. Shooting with either lens should be between f/4 and f/8. With cluttered BG best is 9 to 21 points center focus. For sky BG I use 51 points (not 3D) center focus. Focus Tracking Lock speed depends more on your style of shooting and tracking and the BG you are working with. For sky I prefer the fast setting. For brush and complex background, normal. Your manual is really pretty good at explaining it. It states preferences for moving birds. I have found it good advice.