PDA

View Full Version : wildebeest in rain,kalahari

peter delaney
02-27-2009, 03:08 AM
D3 600mm lens, f20 @1/25,iso 1000 ,

When the rain eventually arrives in the Kalahari ,it arrives with a vengeance .i wanted to try and capture this using a slow shutter speed ....

Robert Amoruso
02-27-2009, 09:30 AM
Peter,

This image has a nice painterly quality to it, I really like it. I like the double diagonal of the rain vs. the panning blur. The wildebeest is defined enough to know what he is.

I would definitely mess around with the contrast, local contrast enhancement and sharping to bring out differing levels of graphic quality to it.

Well done.

Roman Kurywczak
02-27-2009, 09:45 AM
Hey Peter,
This may be one of my favorites of your with this mood/feel. This is stunning! I would explore the different contrast adjustments......but that will just make more great versions of a beautiful image.

Judy Lynn Malloch
02-27-2009, 02:18 PM
Very creative and as Robert mentioned it has the appearance of a lovely painting. Well done !!!

Sabyasachi Patra
02-28-2009, 12:11 PM
Peter,
This is interesting. Love the mood in this one.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Robert Amoruso
02-28-2009, 12:39 PM
Peter,

This image has a nice painterly quality to it, I really like it. I like the double diagonal of the rain vs. the panning blur. The wildebeest is defined enough to know what he is.

I would definitely mess around with the contrast, local contrast enhancement and sharping to bring out differing levels of graphic quality to it.

Well done.

Peter ask me to post an example of what I meant so here it is.

I applied a rather aggressive s-curve to the image. This blocked up the dark wildebeest so I did a Shadows/Highlights correction to correct that. I then did local contrast enhancement on a BG copy using USM at 25/20/0. I then created a mask on that layer and painted black on the wildebeest as it was already contrasty enough.

Fabs Forns
02-28-2009, 08:08 PM
I love the artistic feel and texutre of the original, do not care for the exaggerated saturation and contrast of the repost, that looses the painterly feel IMO. Well done.

James Shadle
03-01-2009, 11:21 PM
Peter said:
"When the rain eventually arrives in the Kalahari ,it arrives with a vengeance .i wanted to try and capture this using a slow shutter speed ..."

IMO your shutter speed selection was brilliant. I also feel that the contrast range you selected was right on the mark.

The combination of slow shutter speed and slightly lower contrast really helps create the "feel" of rain in the Kalahari.

Well seen and well executed.

James

peter delaney
03-06-2009, 03:36 AM
Thanks very much for all the great comments on this image... it is great to get reassurance when you try something different that you are on the right path....so thanks to every one for there input ..

peter