PDA

View Full Version : Big Yellow Dot

Michael Lloyd
02-26-2009, 10:27 PM
The original vision for this image was the sun centered just above a fence post like the period in the letter i. Unfortunately I didn't have enough DOF to make it work so I settled on this. It almost looks like something in the desert... but it's in my back yard :)

EOS !DMKIII
600 f4L IS

ISO 200
1/500s @f4

Paul Marcellini
02-27-2009, 07:52 AM
I like the graphic nature of this and the colors works nicely together. I like the overall comp and the uncentered sun here, but my eye wants it on the other side, to fit into the higher part of the cloud, it just seems to fit better. Still, very nice shot.

Robert Amoruso
02-27-2009, 09:23 AM
Michael,

On the DOF issue, did you think about making two images and merging them in Photoshop, each one in focus on the subject?

I understand what Paul is talking about but at least to me, I am fine with how you did this. Nice use of colors graduration in the image to make it interesting.

Roman Kurywczak
02-27-2009, 09:58 AM
Hey Michael,
I do like it as presented......but I did feel a bit more like Paul.....wishing the sun was a bit higher in the frame towards the clouds......so I moved it. If it's not against your personal ethics.....I used the marquee too and selected from the bottom of the frame to just into where the soft purple goes into the red/orange......duplicated the layer......dragged it up to just below the darker cloud line......used the healing brush for a quick blend......cropped the bottom off where I moved it and a bit of the right. Now I'm not usually a fan of this.....but decided to show you that it is possible..... and Ill leave the ethical debate up to you! Nicely done on the original vision.
PS You can also go lower into the purple...with the duplicate layer......and move it up there....you will keep more of the red band.

Grady Weed
02-27-2009, 05:21 PM
I don't know guy's...I think the original is best. A killer on the yellow ball. I would have thought it was from "Lawrence of Arabia". Well executed.

Harold Davis
02-27-2009, 06:33 PM
nicely done in either respect. all the different hues are sweet!

Michael Lloyd
02-27-2009, 08:54 PM
Paul- I really liked the image but something bugged me about it. Now I know what it is :D

Robert, I thought of it but completely blew the chance to capture an in focus image of the fence post. It would have been easy enough to do. I was a little late this evening but managed to get some pretty nice clouds with the sun. I'll post that in a different thread.

Roman, I'm slowly but surely getting out of the mindset that the image shouldn't be touched so I would be good with your edit. Ummm... what is posted looks just like mine. I'm either losing my mind (a distinct possibility but I digress) or it's the same image. Did you take your edit down?

Grady- Maine... that's on my wish list of states to visit. I worked in SW PA a few years ago and the people that I spoke to that had been to Maine (Duke Energy apparently owns assets in Maine) said the MO-SKI-TOES are bad there. So bad that ARTCC has to route airline traffic around them (ok... so that's a Texan talking :D ) I don't care. That's what baseball bats are for right. :) Someday I'n going to get to Maine...

Thanks Harold!

Roman Kurywczak
02-27-2009, 09:11 PM
Hey Michael.....I said the same thing when I first looked at it! Look at the red band.....it's narrower...by about 1/2 inch on my monitor anyway.....and that was the goal.....keep your look.....just slide the sun up closer to the darker cloud.....not bad if I can fool the maker!

Michael Lloyd
02-27-2009, 09:15 PM
:D Well I'll be darned :D

Roman Kurywczak
02-27-2009, 09:18 PM
I'd probably go in the more purple area if you are going to try this......the larger red/orange area balances a bit better at the larger size.