PDA

View Full Version : Leaves on Log

Paul Burgess
02-26-2009, 10:16 PM
Hi folks!

Took this last fall.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_1ANgA0JkoBg/SacfwE3VZKI/AAAAAAAABZA/zzotg7Fu_CQ/s800/_MG_7566.jpg

Rebel Xt, 24-105mm, @35mm, f/4, 1/125sec, ISO 800

C/C appreciated!

Happy shooting,
Paul

Paul Marcellini
02-27-2009, 07:50 AM
I see the potential here Paul. I have countless pictures like this that looked very interesting but i wasn't able to translate it. What I like are the directional lines from the logs, broken by the leaves. I would have liked to have the front bunch lower right not cut off and in focus. Then I might try a high contrast b/w. Way to try a detail shot, keep at it!

Robert Amoruso
02-27-2009, 08:27 AM
Paul,

Images like this can be hard to make sense of. In such cases I will try to concentrate on the smaller details. I will ask myself what attracts me to the scene and then work to accentuate that aspect of it. Was it the leaves, the details of the logs, the pine needles? First identify that.

Here I would have been sure to get on the same plane as what I was photographing. As you are at an angle, you will not be able to get all the details into focus due to a limited DOF. Square up the image plane with the logs to make best use of DOF.

That reminds me, please post exposure and equipment information. Knowing the f/stop here for instance along with the focal length it was created at (not just the lens if a zoom) helps me to know your depth of field.

As I frame the image, I will check the edges for intrusions. If I can't eliminate them in the field, I will clone them out in PS later. I always try to make the best image in the field and limit cloning, etc. in PS later.

Arrange the leaves in the frame in a pattern that balances them. Rule of Thirds is a classic compositional guideline. IF you must cut elements at edges, do it in a manner that does not make it look unintended. What I mean by that is if you cut a leave, don't let just a tip of it intrude into the frame, cut it down the middle.

Thanks for posting.

Paul Burgess
02-27-2009, 09:21 AM
Thanks for the comments! I'll keep working at detailed landscapes, but it might be awhile before I come across this scene again because this was taken back in October. I'll keep the tips in mind, though.

Exposure and equipment details added.

Thanks again!
Paul

Roman Kurywczak
02-27-2009, 09:42 AM
Hi Paul,
Very good advice given above and thanks for adding the f-stop info. Part of the softness mentioned is the shallow DOF....f4. I will typically add much more.....but you could have gone down to 1/60th with that lens....if you were hand holding...as long as the IS was on. You may be able to go slower and add more DOF......but you start to risk camera movement from you. If I.m not using a flash......I will always hav a tripod as I tend to be in the f16-22 range on images like this.....It doesn't mean you have to use those f-stops......but since the mini scene has so much texture and leaves in it.....I would opt for maximum DOF.
Here's another tip....I would have carefully selectively removed some of the items in the scene in the field. I've circled them in the re-post..try to visualize this same scene without them.....this would have kept a natural look and minimized the distractions as pointed out above. I am also intrigued by Paul's B&W conversion idea as there isn't a lot of color anyway....so don't fight it....convert it! Thnaks for posting and keep them coming!