PDA

View Full Version : Leucitic firesalamander

Karl Günter Wünsch
01-25-2008, 01:31 PM
http://www.lithos-mineralien.de/birdphotographers/leucitic_firesalamander_bp.jpg
In Germany fire salamanders are still found in abundance locally but they are a protected species. Unfortunately they react quite badly to deterioration of their living conditions, especially hurting their reproduction cycle, which requires clear spring water. So while in some areas you may still encounter some of the very long lived adults a population may already be in decline or on the verge of dissapearing alltogether.
Luckily there are areas where the population is still intact, as is this population between Remscheid and Wuppertal where I have found (together with a fellow photographer) this rare specimen which is a part albino as it still has the yellow skin colour but can't produce the normal black colour... This is an adult, one of four at least that we know of (as we have pictures of them and the yellow markings which do not change in adulthood are different on each), so the colour aberration doesn't seem to be hindering their survival.
Canon 20D, Tamron 90mm f/2.8 1:1 Macro, 1/250, f/13, one Sigma 500 DG Super as Master on a macro bracket, one Sigma 500 DG Super as slave directed at a reflector. Slight crop for compositional purposes.
--
regards
Karl Günter

Robert O'Toole
01-25-2008, 01:58 PM
Thanks for the interesting background information.

Do you know why are they called Fire salamanders? The normal coloration is back and yellow right?

I like the sharpness and the soft lighting.

To improve the image I would crop more to the left, cropping off some of the branches to the right. Also I wish the top edge of the plant to the left was not clipped.

Robert

Karl Günter Wünsch
01-25-2008, 02:05 PM
Do you know why are they called Fire salamanders? The normal coloration is back and yellow right?

Yes, they are normally coloured black and yellow. This is the subspecies Salamandra Salamandra Terrestris, the striped fire salamander, there is another subspecies in Germany the Salamandra Salamandra Salamandra (yes, three times), the spotted fire salamander.
They are supposedly called fire salamander because in the past their daylight appearances during thunder storms was linked to the fires caused by the lightning strikes of said thunder storms.

To improve the image I would crop more to the left, cropping off some of the branches to the right. Also I wish the top edge of the plant to the left was not clipped.

I'll upload a second version incorporating your suggestions a little later, I have a little leeway (more than 2/3rd of the original frame are shown here)...
--
regards
Karl Günter

Robert O'Toole
01-25-2008, 02:09 PM
They are supposedly called fire salamander because in the past their daylight appearances during thunder storms was linked to the fires caused by the lightning strikes of said thunder storms.

Thanks for the additional info. I never would have guessed the story behind the name, I thought maybe they had acidic secretions.

Robert

Karl Günter Wünsch
01-25-2008, 02:30 PM
Thanks for the additional info. I never would have guessed the story behind the name, I thought maybe they had acidic secretions.

They can secrete a mild nerve toxine which at the same time is vile tasting from the glands in their skin - being quite tough that usually means escape for the animal being "tasted". Even the feral racoons here learn the lesson that they don't taste!
This leucitic fire salamander is very interesting to observe because you can clearly see the glands in the skin where they secrete this toxine from...
--
regards
Karl Günter

Karl Günter Wünsch
01-25-2008, 03:21 PM
As suggested I recropped the image a bit. I still am fond of the context the moss stems are giving the animal, so I opted for keeping the 3:2 aspect ratio but just get in a bit closer on this crop to take out the cut off branches to the right :-) Oh and I didn't repeat the mistake of cutting off the stem to the left of the salamander.
http://www.lithos-mineralien.de/birdphotographers/leucitic_firesalamander1_bp.jpg

Kaushik Balakumar
01-25-2008, 07:07 PM
Karl, I liked the re-post.
And u have captured it so well.
I have been to Wuppertal - Ronsdorfer Talsperre few times & I really like the place. Where exactly was this image made ?
Nice to have known a fellow BPN-er close to Dortmund !

rgds,
Kaushik

John Cooper
01-25-2008, 09:00 PM
The repost has a stronger composition Karl of this interesting critter!!
Some hint of a catchlight in the eye would have improved the "empty eye socket" appearence.