PDA

View Full Version : Not the prairies

John Chardine
02-26-2009, 11:37 AM
This is an image across our local salt marsh called the "Tantramar". The French built dykes several hundred years ago to keep out the highest tides in the world and so this land is used mainly used for hay making. Winter still has her icy grip on us. That's a frozen creek in the foreground. It won't be long before this is all green!

Canon EOS 5D, 24-105mm F4 @ 105mm
capture date: Thursday, 26 February, 2009 10:23 AM
exposure program: Aperture Priority
ISO speed: 400
shutter speed: 1/3200
aperture: f8.0
exposure bias: +0.7
metering: Pattern
flash: OFF

Rene Quenneville
02-26-2009, 12:22 PM
John, this is a beautiful scenery, well exposed and sharp. Have you tried a more pano with the remobing of the the part in front of the river bed?

Robert Amoruso
02-26-2009, 01:37 PM
You arranged this well John. The FG drifted snow acts to attract the eye along with the trees. THe BG right and left trees help to balance it all out. THe immediate FG grass on the right provides an additional balancing element.

Exposure captures the details well.

John Chardine
02-26-2009, 01:49 PM
Thanks René. I decided to crop as you see it because I thought the vegetation, particularly the cattails at lower left, added a lot of interest to the image.

John Chardine
02-26-2009, 02:53 PM
You arranged this well John. The FG drifted snow acts to attract the eye along with the trees. THe BG right and left trees help to balance it all out. THe immediate FG grass on the right provides an additional balancing element.

Exposure captures the details well.

Thanks Robert. It is very useful to know why a particular image works the way it does. Your comments shed light on this. I must admit that landscapes for me are very much an intuitive thing and I often get it wrong or miss key elements. This is what makes it fun though!

Roman Kurywczak
02-26-2009, 09:14 PM
Hi John,
I also like that all the elements are clean....no merges in any of the elements, clean edges (without any protrusions in or out), and the placement of the trees/bushes....balance nicely with the open space. I also like the fence meandering through the scene as well as the different blue shades in the sky. This was very nicely composed!