PDA

View Full Version : Getting it Just So

Randy Stout
02-26-2009, 07:21 AM
This fellow was really working the feathers at Little Estero. Gave me lots of opportunities for different set ups, framing, etc. I must say, getting good eye contact when the head is upside down is a challenge!

D700 ISO 1000 f/13 500mm f/4 1/10000 15% crop for composition

Comments appreciated. I am particularly interested in cropping comments. Thanks

Alfred Forns
02-26-2009, 10:30 AM
Hi Randy in these images we look for the head being parallel to the film plane ... shows the eye better and are more attractive !!

Do like it as presented, good whites and pleasing bg, had good light !!! The classic pose is having the wing stretch out but I would take this one in a heart beat !!! I like it a lot !!!

Randy Stout
02-26-2009, 10:46 AM
Thanks Al:

I agree about the head angle, but so far I haven't been able to get one to bend in just that way when their head is upside down, and they are preening behind the plane of their neck. Oh well, I will just have to keep working at it.

I have a few of the wing fully extended, but the head angle is worse there with reduced or absent eye contact.

Thanks for your input!

Daniel Cadieux
02-26-2009, 11:58 AM
It sure is a challenge to get the perfect head angle with these types of preening poses. I know this is the best you could get from your shooting angle with this individual (I was next to you and didn't get any better...although a Snowy gave me better luck later on). Crop-wise I would likely eliminate some of the empty space at left, probably about half of it as it does not add much to the comp. Perfect exposure and sharpness!

Grady Weed
02-26-2009, 12:22 PM
I have to agree with the above. The crop needs to come from the left, about half. The whites are dynamite. Love the preening. The breeding feathers are delicate and mostly shown. I like the green around the eye. I do think the bottom needs more room for the virtual feet. The upper left side water seems a bit odd. Was something done to it? The bird itself is very nice.

Randy Stout
02-26-2009, 12:30 PM
Thanks guys:

I really appreciate the input. I will adjust my crop, too much negative space there. Grady, the water is untouched other than one tiny dust bunny. I think the effect is caused by different reflections behind the bird vs. to the left.

I don't have anymore space below. With this guy, I was flipping back and forth between landscape and portrait orientation (thanks Daniel!) and just didn't give it quite enough room on the bottom.

I particularly liked the cluster of raised feathers right where he is working, and the delicate spray of the breeding plumes off the back. The light was just beautiful for at least an hour that morning.

Thanks again.

Ramon M. Casares
02-26-2009, 01:31 PM
I love the pose, moment, colors, detail, exposure and ambient. Very nice.

Nate Chappell
02-26-2009, 05:19 PM
Beautiful detail in the whites and an interesting preening pose Randy