PDA

View Full Version : My first landscape post?

James Shadle
02-25-2009, 09:34 PM
This image recently appeared in a magazine with one of the worlds highest circulations.
"The Awake" magazine published by Jehovah's Witnesses.

This is a Red Mangrove "island" in Florida Bay, Flamingo, Everglades National Park, Florida, USA

The Everglades National Park is where I first met two of my partners, Al and Fabs Forns.
They were conducting a workshop, but took the time to direct me to a Swallowtail Kite nest.
If you want to know what's going on the 'glades the Forns are the guy and gal to check with.

This was captured very late in the day using a Nikon D2X and Nikon 18-70mm @ 25mm
ISO 640 1/160 SS @ F7.1 WB Daylight

Roman Kurywczak
02-25-2009, 11:00 PM
Hey James,
Nice to see you in this forum!!! OK.....judging by the fact that 13 people have looked at the image at this point......but no comments.....I can only guess that they are waiting for one of the mods to comment. Comp and exposure are right on.....nice isolation of the mangrove and sweet light and exposure...now I'll give you what everyone else was hesitant to say.....you definitely need a hair of CW rotation.....and I'm pretty sure that there will be a few smiling faces when I say.....that my signature split ND filter...placed sideways...or better yet....one sideways and one up and down....would have brought that sky into the wow territory......you can also get there with a very careful multiplied layer (the mangrove isn't the easiest subject to do this on). Anyway....all in all very well composed and we want to see more of you down here in the "other" forums.

James Shadle
02-26-2009, 01:06 AM
Thanks Roman,

On the repost I left my horizon guide (horizon same as original post) to see if I'm cockeyed.

I tried the Multiply layer. Is this closer to your vision?
Just a quicky.

If I had used a Split ND the filter would have effected the tree as well.
I will try a Split ND and fill flash on the tree and see how that works out.

In the past I have under exposed the ambient and brought the subject up with flash.

James

Paul Marcellini
02-26-2009, 09:13 AM
My eyes must be crooked too, looks straight to me. I think the first was pretty close,, but did a minor tonal adjustment. The repost looked too dark for my taste. I selected the highlights(command-option-tilde~), made them their own layer(command-j) multiplied them, then selected the new highlights(smaller amount after multiplying) and made them a mask for that same layer. Then I duplicated that layer and brought up midtones in curves. It kept the image pretty much the same but was able to selectively darken the highlights this way.

You got some sweet light on this guy, you should pop in here more often. =)

Michael Pancier
02-26-2009, 09:23 AM
also looks straight to me. with some contrast tweaking would make a nice B&W too. I would have thought you would have brought some spoonies with you to place in the image ....

Grady Weed
02-26-2009, 09:34 AM
I also wondered where the spoonies, or set extras were James. LOL. It seems they are you trademark my friend. Of course I have seen this image in the Awake magazine and also when you took it. Congratulations James. I like the original better than the re-post. Paul's version gets you there without the filter. And it is boss! That is some gorgeous light bro.

Roman Kurywczak
02-26-2009, 09:44 AM
OK.....it's straight! Time for a visit to the eye doctor.....or save the critiquing for the morning! I like both re-posts (thanks Paul!).....but prefer your darker one....... looks more ominous.....and Pauls more delicate/serene...and probably natural.
Nice luxury to have different interpretations of the sky with the same image. I wonder how many versions we would get if everyone took a shot at it???....hmm

Dave Mills
02-26-2009, 09:48 AM
I also like both versions. Each would be strong as a stand alone.

James Shadle
02-26-2009, 01:55 PM
My eyes must be crooked too, looks straight to me. I think the first was pretty close,, but did a minor tonal adjustment. The repost looked too dark for my taste. I selected the highlights(command-option-tilde~), made them their own layer(command-j) multiplied them, then selected the new highlights(smaller amount after multiplying) and made them a mask for that same layer. Then I duplicated that layer and brought up midtones in curves. It kept the image pretty much the same but was able to selectively darken the highlights this way.

You got some sweet light on this guy, you should pop in here more often. =)

I bet Paul knows exactly where is Red Mangrove is.:)

Roman, have you tried a Split ND to knock down the sky and a flash to light up a tree or other element extending into the sky"?

Thanks all for the comments and food for thought.

James

Roman Kurywczak
02-26-2009, 09:29 PM
Hey James,
Actually yes.....on a yucca plant in white sands......old film days though.....so no instant feedback to adjust the flash output.....will be trying it again later this year.

Fabs Forns
03-01-2009, 11:38 PM
I sort of like the darker version, scary :)

Very interesting to see how we all perceive things in a different way.
Thanks for the mention :)