PDA

View Full Version : Harlequin Duck in dreary lighting

Jeff Nadler
01-25-2008, 11:36 AM
http://www.jnphoto.net/harlequinduck-n0752.jpg

Harlequin Duck, male

I wonder if dreary lighting is a blessing for this subject as brght sunny days make it too easy to blow out the white or reverse, leave little detail in rest if exposing for whites.

500mm F4 IS and 1.4, no flash, ISO 800, F8, overcast and slight drizzle

full frame basically

Axel Hildebrandt
01-25-2008, 11:40 AM
Very intimate portrait and good details despite the poor light. I might give it a bit more room.

Jeff Nadler
01-25-2008, 11:42 AM
Very intimate portrait and good details despite the poor light. I might give it a bit more room.

This was so close to me, it is virtually full frame. Not sure about adding canvas with the various wave patterns.

Jim Poor
01-25-2008, 11:47 AM
If you want to add some canvass, I'd do it first the normal way trying to copy the general contours. Then I'd use the patch tool for touch up which would allow you to line up the lines and patterns while you're moving selections around.

Doug Brown
01-25-2008, 12:53 PM
I agree with you that dreary light is a blessing when trying to photograph Harlequin Ducks. You might consider toning down the water behind the bird. I have a very similar photo that I'll be posting in the not-too-distant future (a little more distant now that you've posted such a nice specimen). ;)

Manos Papadomanolakis
01-25-2008, 01:07 PM
Beautiful Duck with nice details!!!

Caroline Darmo
01-25-2008, 07:48 PM
From what I've read, Harlequins are a real exposure nightmare & I think you did a splendid job here. The feather detail is amazing & the brightness of the water doesn't distract from the bird on my monitor. Maybe just a touch more room around, & that's really looking for nits. Beautiful image.

Daniel Cadieux
01-25-2008, 07:58 PM
What I really love about this image is the curve wave following the duck's contour below...very neat!!

Bonnie Block
01-25-2008, 08:15 PM
Jeff, this is a very fine portrait, and Ilike it just the way it is. One of the best I have seen of this species!
I love the curve of the wave, which pulls everything together in this one.