PDA

View Full Version : Frozen Sycamore

Mike Moats
02-25-2009, 08:40 PM
Shot at the edge of Stony Creek lake

Fuji S5, Tamron 90macro, Tripod, Natural Light, F/36, 1sec

Julie Kenward
02-26-2009, 07:28 PM
Gosh darnit. It almost makes me sad that winter is all but over here. Oh well, you can eat my dust next week when the daffodils finally bloom! :D:D:D

Gorgeous as always, Mike. The layers of color and light in this are incredible. I do find myself wishing there was just a tiny bit more to see at the top of the frame - it feels just a bit tight there.

I'd be interested to know what time of day you took this. Morning? Late afternoon? It's got that overcast glow to it...

Mike Moats
02-26-2009, 07:54 PM
Hey Jules, this was shot in the afternoon on a heavy overcast day. Don't worry we'll have dafs up here some day.:D

Roman Kurywczak
02-27-2009, 10:26 AM
This one has Mike Moats written all over it! Love the testures throughout and as I am also a huge fan of the max DOF club.....nothing more to say......Sweet! BTW.....I didn't mention the crop....because I am also a card carrying member of the tight crop club! Another winner Mike.

Mike Moats
02-27-2009, 10:56 AM
Thanks Jules and Roman, Everyone has a different thought on cropping and I've always felt that if there's something interesting in the background that warrents attention than I'll include it in the frame, but if its just plain space without much interest than I'll probably crop as much as I can. I don't run the edge of my main subject so that it touches the edge of the frame, but I don't think there's a fomula for how far away from the frames edge it needs to be, as I think it depends on the on diferent factors like, is the extra space your showing have any value to add to the image, and if not I may crop tight.

Kaushik Balakumar
03-01-2009, 08:53 PM
Roman said it - this image has Mike Moats written all over it !
A lovely image Mike...
Hmmm... Tamron 90... an old image of urs Mike ?

Mike Moats
03-01-2009, 09:20 PM
Hey Kaushik, I shot this last week with the Tamron 90 as I was tired of shooting the 180, and decided to have some fun with something different. Thanks for the comment.