PDA

View Full Version : Hello, I have doubts.....

José Rodríguez
02-25-2009, 04:19 PM
Hi all. I had been posting in some of the forums of this site, but now I realise I hadn't introduced myself. (BTW this is not my mother language so I apologize in advance about my english)
I'm very happy to join such a wise community.
I'm a newbie, but I´m very passionate. So when I bought my first camera (P&S) 2 years ago, I begun a fast learning process. Too fast I think now, because I haven't had time to learn well about my actual gear (Nikon D300) all I should. So now I have doubts....
The main one is about lighting using my SB-600. In some situations I would like to use it as a fill flash, but if I´m shoting let´s say in 1/1000, I assume it can´t be used, because the sync speed of flash is 1/250 or less in my D300. But in one of my posts was suggested to use a fill flash (even though it was shoted at 1/640). So.... can I use fill flash in this situations? How?
Thanks in advance for your explanations!

Dug Threewitt
02-25-2009, 04:45 PM
Hi all. I had been posting in some of the forums of this site, but now I realise I hadn't introduced myself. (BTW this is not my mother language so I apologize in advance about my english)
I'm very happy to join such a wise community.
I'm a newbie, but I´m very passionate. So when I bought my first camera (P&S) 2 years ago, I begun a fast learning process. Too fast I think now, because I haven't had time to learn well about my actual gear (Nikon D300) all I should. So now I have doubts....
The main one is about lighting using my SB-600. In some situations I would like to use it as a fill flash, but if I´m shoting let´s say in 1/1000, I assume it can´t be used, because the sync speed of flash is 1/250 or less in my D300. But in one of my posts was suggested to use a fill flash (even though it was shoted at 1/640). So.... can I use fill flash in this situations? How?
Thanks in advance for your explanations!

I don't shoot nikon, but I believe you can use "FP Sync"(I think that's what nikon calls it) for higher speed sync. It pulses the flash instead of 1 single light burst. I'd bet the D200 supports it, but I am not sure about the SB600(probably does though)
Dug

José Rodríguez
02-25-2009, 04:48 PM
I read that 1/320 is the highest sync speed in FP mode for my camera, so I guess that should not be a solution.... thanks :-)

Harold Davis
02-25-2009, 05:03 PM
dug is right about the FP sync. you can use the flash all the way up to 1/8000s. it will not be effective at that speed, but it will still fire. i have been using more flash lately...take some images at 1/1250s. when you do, do a burst of 3. will get one at full power, one at no power, and one at half power. you should see a difference if you are within the 200mm limits of the flash. if more than 200mm, use a better beamer. will give u two extra stops of light.

José Rodríguez
02-25-2009, 05:08 PM
Now I see. In P or M mode it´s possible to overpass the 1/320 limit. Ok. Thanks a lot for those fast answers. I´ll have to check it myself....

John Chardine
02-25-2009, 06:14 PM
Welcome José. Yes FP synch on the Nikon side will do it (H-synch on Canon side). Essentially the way it works is that the strobe produces multiple flashes as the shutter curtains run past the sensor. Because the strobe is flashing repeatedly, the output is reduced as a function of the shutter speed. Speeds close to the synch speed produce almost no reduction in output but very fast shutter speeds produce a big reduction. In auto flash this reduces the reach of the flash. Good ahead and try it!

Maxis Gamez
02-25-2009, 07:32 PM
Bienvenido Jose. Me alegro much de tenerte con nosotros!

Alfred Forns
02-26-2009, 09:05 AM
Your posts and dedication has been impressive Jose !!!!

Good advice on the flash Main point being the loss of light with increase shutter speed. At 640 you are down to half the effective distance !!! Best way to test is at night so you can actually see how you loose coverage !!!

José Rodríguez
02-26-2009, 09:57 AM
Thanks to all the community. In some places, people can be very wild with newbies, but here it's different.
Thanks Alfred. I'm enjoying a holiday week, so I have time to be active. I guess I will decrease activity in the time to come... :-)

Chris Ober
02-27-2009, 12:19 AM
Your English is fine. Our Spanish, except for Maxis, probably needs more work. :)

Welcome and good to meet you!