PDA

View Full Version : Harrier Hunting in Habitat

Doug Brown
02-25-2009, 02:09 PM
I like the way this Harrier is hunting just above the vegetation. They are amazingly good at finding small mammals in the dense vegatation.

http://birdwhisperer.smugmug.com/photos/480658942_9L9s2-O.jpg

Canon 1D Mark III, 500mm + 1.4x, f/7.1, 1/2500, ISO 640, manual exposure, no flash, hand held

Roman Kurywczak
02-25-2009, 05:21 PM
I'm a huge fan of environmental shots.....as long as they are done well and don't detract from the overall image. this one is sweet! The tall fronds of grasses (nice that there is no merge of them in the face) just add to the overall appeal. As you know...I'm a big fan of tighter crops:D.....so I will just recommend a 1/3 off the sky....but I'm sure you will get other opinions on that. Overall...one killer image!

Graham Smith.
02-25-2009, 06:34 PM
Great Shot! You've caught this harrier in a beautiful pose. I like the crop you chose, and don't feel it's too tight at all. Interesting primaries (2-5) - they look like they've been cut off (I'm sure that's not the case though).

Glenn Romain
02-25-2009, 06:54 PM
Print ,Frame it and hang it Doug. One of, if not the best Harrier i have seen :)

Matt Lerer
02-25-2009, 09:07 PM
Hey Doug,

Again I feel weird critiquing anybody's photo but here goes. I think it's perfect! I love the lighting, the clarity of the harrier, and the vegetation! This photo gives me a feeling of actually being there for some reason...

Mike Lentz
02-25-2009, 09:33 PM
Nice pose and landscape in the image. I was also wondering why the primaries looked snipped off?

Doug Brown
02-25-2009, 10:36 PM
I think it's an optical illusion because I have another frame taken immediately after this one where you can clearly see intact primaries.

Blake Shadle
02-26-2009, 12:30 AM
Oh dude, this is sweet. Nice work, Doug. You can tell my looking at the bit of tan toward the tip of the primaries that they're being up toward you. What's funny is that when I first looked at the image I said "hmmm, a little off the top might be more create more impact". I brought it in the PS and tried all sorts of crops, and ya' know what?? I like this one haha. Great stuff.

Chris van Rooyen
02-26-2009, 01:42 AM
Great pose, like the habitat that is included! Eye contact is dramatic! I might nip a tiny bit off the top.

Juan Aragonés
02-26-2009, 05:23 AM
Sweet light Doug. I like the habitat in the BG and the color of the sky. Composition works for me. A better angle in the tail would be great. Very good job :-)