PDA

View Full Version : Large-billed (Galapagos) Flycatcher

Dick Glover
02-25-2009, 02:01 PM
My first post -- hope they become less daunting with experience.
An overcast day on Isabela Island, Galapagos January 31, 2009, 4:30pm. What a wonderful place to visit.
Canon 50D, 1/1000, f6.3, 300mm, ISO 800, handheld.

Roman Kurywczak
02-25-2009, 05:36 PM
Hi Dick,
Welcome to the forums! I like the pose /perch and BG...but you may want to run some noise reduction on the BG. I am also debating pulling back some on the contrast....as the poop on the perch is really standing out......maybe just on the perch......still....nicely composed.

Art Kornienko
02-25-2009, 06:57 PM
Real nice and agree with Roman about pulling back some of the contrast.

joel quenneville
02-25-2009, 07:05 PM
Welcome to BPN Dick! Your perch is very pleasing here as is the bird's pose and head angle. The catchlight enhances the viewer's eye contact with your subject, adding some strength to the composition. I agree with the others about the contrast and would suggest that your run Shadows and Highlights on this one. In addition, I would add a little more saturation. Overall, good job.

Dick Glover
02-25-2009, 09:46 PM
Sincere thanks to Roman, Art and Joel. I adjusted the brightness of the perch and it no longer competes with the bird -- much better. I had a more saturated version, which was attractive, and I liked better, but any more color than what is shown and a new species is created, or at a minimum it becomes a female Vermillion. Thanks again for taking time to comment.
Dick

Dave Taylor
02-26-2009, 12:02 AM
I agree with the previous recommendations. But more importantly, GREAT first submission. Love the pose, catchlight, exposure, comp. Nicely done & welcome. BPN is a wealth of info by (I believe) the best bird photographers around. A great resource, and I look forward to your future participation.