PDA

View Full Version : Nudibranch

Steve Maxson
02-25-2009, 12:54 PM
This nudibranch (possibly Bursatella leachii) is 3-4 inches long and was photographed in a shallow tide pool on Sanibel Island where many had washed in on the beach. Here is a little biology :) - Nudibranchs are predatory, shell-less mullosks in the sea slug family. The name Nudibranchia means naked gills and the spiky looking projections on this one's body are presumably those gills. There are over 3,000 known species and some are very colorful. 20D, 90mm tilt/shift, 1/125, f/11, ISO 400. Comments are welcome.

Mike Moats
02-25-2009, 07:25 PM
Hey Steve, very cool looking critter, good sharp details. Not sure if I care for the blob of sand lower center frame, takes away from the cool critter. I would try and clone it out.

Julie Kenward
02-25-2009, 07:42 PM
I agree with Mike on this one, Steve. The lighting is beautiful but when I first opened the image I wasn't sure if I was supposed to be looking at the creature or the lump in the sand. I'd find a way to choose just the creature and highlight that.

That lump of sand reminds me of silly sand from my childhood...anybody else that old? :o:D