PDA

View Full Version : Ground Hornbill

John Lowin
02-25-2009, 01:50 AM
This is an image from the Masi Mara Triangle. These are really prehistoric looking creatures, and their size is rather intimidating. We observed several of these hornbills feeding on what appeared to be large insects, in a this rather flat, grassy area. Thanks for looking, I hope you like my image. C and C welcomed, I'm here to learn. - John

f/13 @ 1/640 ISO 400
Canon 1D Mk II
Canon EF 500mm 1:4 L IS
Kenisis Gear Safari Sack (Bean Bag)

Daniel Cadieux
02-25-2009, 07:17 AM
You are right, they really do look prehistoric! Good exposure considering the harsh light conditions combined with the colour of the bird. I love the walking pose, and the savannah-type habitat. Perhaps lightening the upper part of the iris would be good...as is there is a slight shadow on that part - caused by the high light angle. I would also add some canvas back above (if you have it), if not it should be easy too add some in PS. An additional round of sharpening would be good for web presentation.

Juan Aragonés
02-25-2009, 07:19 AM
John, composition works for me and I like the raised leg. The light is a bit strong to my taste and, in a perfect world, a lower shooting angle would produce a better result. Sharpness is very good. I think that, considering the intense light, f13 is too much for me and I would prefer a wider aperture to reduce the effective deep of field and for a better isolation of the bird from the BG.

Terry Sohl
02-25-2009, 07:39 AM
Beautiful shot John. Agreed I'd have probably gone with a shallower DOF to get more of an OOF background. Could use some CW rotation? All of the veg/grass is leaning to the right a bit.

John Lowin
02-25-2009, 08:59 AM
Thank you Terry, Juan and Daniel,
Good suggestions from each of you, Much appreciated! Thanks. - John

Chris van Rooyen
02-26-2009, 01:59 AM
Nice sharp image with great posture. Nits have been covered, the light was a bit against you here