PDA

View Full Version : Short Eared Owl

Bonnie Block
02-25-2009, 12:17 AM
Finally got fairly close to this fellow in nice late afternoon light.
Skagit --Fir Island area of Western Washington.
50D 300/2.8 IS + 2X TC
1/1000s f/7.1 at 600.0mm iso400
http://upload.pbase.com/image/109563282/original.jpg

Juan Aragonés
02-25-2009, 07:23 AM
I like the intense stare of the eyes and the superb OOF background. Not sure but I think that a CW rotation woyuld improve the result. If this image is a crop I would try to keep less room at the right and add a litle bit to the left. Very good job!

Terry Sohl
02-25-2009, 07:36 AM
What gorgeous light, and the head turn is wonderful. Agreed about the cropping suggestion.

Bill Jobes
02-25-2009, 09:33 AM
Excellent photo, Bonnie !

Just for fun, you might want to do a real tight crop on the face and upper body only.

It would of course be a totally different impression, but the intensity and character of the face would make quite a statement.

Steve Large
02-25-2009, 01:11 PM
Bonnie,
Very lovely picture indeed. Nice natural setting this time. You must have been practicing your "Owl approching technique". Many photogs get too excited and move in too fast and the bird gets freaked out and flushes early. It is just personal taste on my part but, I think I would have maybe added just a touch more USM to make him pop a bit more from the background. It all depends on what kind of feeling you were trying to go for on this one. As presented it gives the feeling of warmth and power and the true representation of their environment. Much better than my "weathered post shots" for sure.

Take care,

Steve

Graham Smith.
02-25-2009, 06:49 PM
Very nice shot. Those eyes are quite an attention-grabber. I'd also like to see a little more room on the left.

Daniel Cadieux
02-25-2009, 06:50 PM
I like this one very much, Bonnie. Great pose and stare...and I love the perch. I agree with Steve re: sharpening. I would also clean the small white spot on the perch...and if you are up to it (and within your personal ethics) you could eliminate the long downward diagonal grass by using either the clone tool (good) or patch tool (better).

Axel Hildebrandt
02-25-2009, 08:58 PM
Great perch, pose, angle and BG. I agree with Daniel regarding the white spot on the perch.

Chris van Rooyen
02-26-2009, 01:46 AM
Classic portrait in sweet light with fantastic background! I would remove the white spot on the perch.

Ramon M. Casares
02-26-2009, 01:42 PM
Love ly light, pose and comp, I like the wide crop, BG, detail and bird´s atitude are awesome! Congratualitons!