PDA

View Full Version : Ice Flows at Sleeping Bear.

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
02-24-2009, 08:46 PM
I shot this today on my way to the DMV to get commercial plates for my trucks. I thought with a north wind white winged scooters might show up like last year. It was 3 degrees with a 25 miles hour wind and blew ice into West Platte Bay of the Sleeping Bear National Park.

Also I saw in New York they had snow owls along the beach and gave that a shot as they have seen one a couple miles from there but no luck on either one. **** it was cold with that wind blowing and you could see 8 footers at the horizon line hitting the ice.

Canon 1D Mk2, Canon 70-200 2.8 IS , f/18@1/30, -1/3 EV, ISO 100, AV mode, tripod with rrs-55 head.

Robert Amoruso
02-24-2009, 10:17 PM
Curly,

I tried some different crops and think a pano version with the top cropped to just about the mountain a good bet. I wish you had something on the right to balance the two heavy elements on the left (sand dune and mountain).

I like the white strip of snow you included on the bottom. It could use some more sharpening.

John Blumenkamp
02-24-2009, 10:19 PM
I like your comp and perspective on this one... looks pretty cold! I agree with Robert that it looks like it could be sharper.

Tom Dolezal
02-25-2009, 02:53 AM
Like the low perspective you have used here and the interplay of textures between the sand and the snow.

As already mentioned image could do with some sharpening. I would be inclined to crop off about half of that sky to get more of a pano look. imo the sky distracts from the fg and mg detail and reducing the sky would reduce that distraction.

Roman Kurywczak
02-25-2009, 09:08 AM
Hey Curly,
Another one who likes the comp...but the others are correct on the sharpness. If you could tweak out some more depth/definition in the sky......I would leave it as presented.....if not.....then go with the tighter crop. Would love to see a re-post of sharper version if it works!

Paul Marcellini
02-25-2009, 09:58 AM
You got some great advice. As far as web presentation, I use a simple sharpen technique that really works well. You size it to just under double your final size. I do 1300px for final 720. Then hit the simple sharpen filter. Maybe twice, then resize. This forces photoshop to sharpen the finest details and it doesn't increase file size much.

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
02-25-2009, 07:00 PM
Here is it sharpened more, but I had a sign in front of me that I took out that I think the af locked on so the image is not sharp.

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
02-25-2009, 07:05 PM
Here is from same spot different lens

Canon 1D Mk2, Canon 24-105 IS , 1/50@f/16, 0 EV, ISO 100, AV mode, tripod with rrs-55 head.