PDA

View Full Version : Tricolorflection

Bob Blanchard
02-24-2009, 08:25 PM
Was out at Little Estero on Sunday just enjoying another incredibly still morning. As the sun was getting up into the sky, I got a brief moment when a perfect light-diffusing cloud passed over it, and created this really wonderful off-white effect on the perfectly still water. I had been working this Tricolor, but there just wasn't much other activity there for the few minutes of this light. Still, I'm very satisfied with this really nice reflection in the still, white water.

Canon 1DsMII, 600mm f/4L, f/4, 1/640, ISO 200, +4/3 EV, tripod.
http://catcheroflight.smugmug.com/photos/480227736_wQrFh-X3.jpg

Axel Hildebrandt
02-24-2009, 08:29 PM
This looks very cool, great details, head angle, soft light and reflection. Have you tried to sharpen the reflection a bit?

Bob Blanchard
02-24-2009, 08:38 PM
This looks very cool, great details, head angle, soft light and reflection. Have you tried to sharpen the reflection a bit?

I hadn't really though to try. I do have a few where the reflection is sharper, but felt that it drew too much attention. To me, the slight blur worked better in keeping the primary focus on the "real" bird. Personal preference I think. Both look pretty cool. I also had one pose of him in a hunting position with a raised leg, but felt the serenity of the still pose worked better. I do wish i'd have gotten just a bit of seperation in the legs, though.

Axel Hildebrandt
02-24-2009, 08:43 PM
I think it works either way and I don't mind that there is not more room between the legs.

Phil Liew
02-24-2009, 08:48 PM
I have always wanted a shot like yours for yonks but have never been lucky enough to get the opportunity. Lots of details and good exposure control. The slight blurr works for me as well. Good one!

Daniel Cadieux
02-24-2009, 08:54 PM
I really like the comp and reflection. Similar to what that White Ibis offered us last week (P.S. it was a real pleasure meeting you during your cameo appearance at Estero!). I can't help but think the midtones could go a tad darker, but still love it!

Bob Blanchard
02-24-2009, 09:50 PM
I really like the comp and reflection. Similar to what that White Ibis offered us last week (P.S. it was a real pleasure meeting you during your cameo appearance at Estero!). I can't help but think the midtones could go a tad darker, but still love it!

LOL - Yep, that one posed pretty good for us. I haven't posted any images of him here yet. Figured I'd let the IPT folks cover that one. I could probably tweak on this one a bit, but I'm pretty happy with it where it is. I sure wish I'd have had a nice Reddish Egret about when that light changed so suddenly, I think those colors would have really popped against this white BG. To drive home the point....Here's the image from just a few minutes later after the cloud passed:
http://catcheroflight.smugmug.com/photos/479709690_Fc3xy-XL.jpg

Amazing the difference a quick cloud can make!

Juan Aragonés
02-25-2009, 07:48 AM
Bob, I like both images. The light is really different in both and makes a great difference. The first one needs IMO some contrast boosting. Composition is superb in both cases. :-)

Ramon M. Casares
02-26-2009, 01:40 PM
Stunning! Both are truely amaing IMO. great images! Love everything about them! Copngratualitons!