PDA

View Full Version : African fish eagle

Deborah Harrison
02-24-2009, 05:27 PM
Greetings, I'm new here but since discovering this site have already learnt a lot - the photos here are magnificent and the suggestions and critiques wonderful for someone like me who is trying to learn. My first posting is somewhat of a test but also comes with a question - given the back light how can I maintain the whites without altering the browns? I have basic PS knowledge and use the Adobe RAW conversion in Lightroom as my basic conversion tool. All advice welcome.
Canon Mark III, 500 f4, 1/500 @ f4 400ASA with beanbag
Thanks,
Debbie

Jackie Schuknecht
02-24-2009, 07:24 PM
Hi Deb,
I like your shot. I moved the black point up a bit and took some of the red out of the whites. Also your resolution was low in saving your file (92) you can save as 240 and the image will look better. Looking forward to more!

Deborah Harrison
02-24-2009, 07:47 PM
Wow, a great improvement. Thanks for the input. Shall also have to play with the resolution for posting - this is still a learning process....
Debbie

Lance Peters
02-24-2009, 08:32 PM
HI Deborah - A big welcome to the BPN family - don't hesitate to comment on other peoples post's that is what makes BPN such a great learning tool - we are all here to learn and you never stop learning :)

Nice lookig eagle - as presented would have liked to see just abit more detail in the eye. (Made some quick adjustments to the eye - a bit hard with a small file - sure you will be able to drag some detail out of the original) Also added some Noise reduction on the background .Jackies repost does add that bit of ommph that was missing.

Nice going - looking forward to seeing more.

Gus Cobos
02-24-2009, 08:49 PM
Hi Deborah,
A big warm welcome to the BPN family...:) All of the techs. and good suggestions have been addressed...in addition to what has been said, I would like to see just a tad more room on the top of the frame, to give him more head space...I like the details in the feathers and Lady Jackie's mid-tone adjustment made the difference in bring out the rich colors...Mr. Peters' eye lightening and sharpening puts it over the top...congrats on your first post...a fine one indeed...looking forward to seeing more of your beautiful work...and once again, welcome to the family...:D:cool:

Alfred Forns
02-24-2009, 09:27 PM
Big Warm welcome Deborah I like it a lot Agree with suggestions The little room at the top will make a big difference in the overall look !!

Nonda Surratt
02-25-2009, 07:51 AM
Big welcome Deborah! Great feel, really like this. Agree with prior folks comments

Deborah Harrison
02-25-2009, 08:53 AM
Thanks all for the comments, shall try working on it some more when I have a moment later in the week.

Debbie

Ilija Dukovski
02-25-2009, 10:52 AM
Welcome! I like your image a lot. More room on the top
would be great, however the overall feel is excellent.

Cheers,